42 | We & Decisions

《 JJK 》

《 JJK 》

As I'm about to make my way out of the meeting room, one of the business directors, Mr. Lee, present at the meeting calls out to me, "Jungkook-ssi, can you stay behind for a little bit? We have some things to discuss in private with you."

I stare at the door where the rest of my members have already exited, before nodding and hesitantly sitting back down on my seat. "What is it?"

"Like we said earlier, we're in no circumstances banning you from seeing Maressa-ssi," he continues. "Since we've never included a dating ban policy on your contracts. That's why we're issuing a statement to legally deal with any hate, harassment, or defamation towards our artists. You all know that we stress the fact that we don't like interfering into your personal lives, but once it starts to affect the people in the company, something needs to be done.

"This is more than just your supposed dating scandal now, people are digging up and exposing past pictures of your members seen with a girl. Doesn't matter if it was an ex-girlfriend or a female staff. Many are scrutinizing them, causing unnecessary hate towards your members and our staff. Your fans are stating that they will harm themselves, or even go as far as to saying that they'll kill themselves. It's gone out of control, which is why we're going to give you the option."

"Option?" I furrow my brows in confusion. "The option to do what?"

"If you would personally like to address the situation yourself and not rely on the company's statement," our director from the PR Team responds. "We're not going to be denying or confirming your relationship status to the public, because that's for you to decide on."

"But before you make a decision, we need to inform you about the risk," Mr. Lee says. "A risk in your career and possibly for her, if she becomes publicly known."

I furiously shake my head. "I want to keep her safe. I don't want the public to know about her until later on."

"I'll be honest with you, Jungkook," he replies softly. "That's going to be hard to do. You can try to hide her, and we can even help, but the truth will eventually come out. And when it does, it will get ugly. Your career will get affected and the other boys will suffer. If people get ahold of this private information, the whole group and management will pay for the brutal backlash it's going to receive. Someone followed you around last night and because you both failed to notice, you almost exposed her to the media. Think of her, as well. Reporters will be all over her if they ever find out her name or personal details, like her address. This is more than your safety now, it's also hers."

"Jungkook-ah." This time Bang PD-nim speaks up from his seat at the head of the table. "I'm excited about you finding yourself a partner, don't get me wrong. I've raised you like my own son for years now. But I'm anxious about this coming out to the public. I'm worried about what it'll do to the company, to its artists, but most specifically, you. So, I want you to carefully think about this, Jungkook. But whatever you decide, the company will support it without any hesitation."