27 | We & Memories

! CW: Mentions of Depression !

"Namjoon-ah, Geongmin-ah, I want you to meet someone." The nine-year old boy peeked up from the book he was reading to the sound of his Mom's booming voice from inside the house. He glanced at his six-year old sister, who only shrugged at him and went back to her colouring book.

The back door opened, revealing Namjoon's mom with a tiny girl shyly trailing beside her.

"Her name is Mae, Rose I call her, but she'll be here for the day since her parents got called away for work. Her parents and your dad and I were close friends in college," his mom explained.

Geongmin, thrilled with the sight of the young girl, immediately leapt up from her chair and ran towards Mae with open arms.

"Hi Mae, I'm Min." Geongmin giggled, slightly bowing in her direction, but Mae only stared at her in confusion at the action. Instead, she moved towards Geongmin and wrapped her tiny hands around Geongmin's waist.

A radiant smile appeared on both faces.

Geongmin gestured towards Namjoon with her hand. "And that's Namjoon-oppa."

Mae glanced curiously between Namjoon and Geongmin, before opening her mouth to say, "Namu."

With a hearty chortle, Geongmin shook her head. "No, Mae-ya, it's Namjoon. Nam. Joon."

Mae nodded, as if she understood, but proceeded to say, "Namu."

Namjoon's heart melted at the sight.

Their mom laughed. "Can you two take care of her while I prepare lunch for us? Treat her kindly, okay? She was always sheltered since she's an only child and new people can be overwhelming for her."

Namjoon nodded, while Geongmin slipped back to her colouring book. Their mom returned back inside the house, but Mae stood there fiddling with her hands, unsure of where to go.

Namjoon noticed Mae's uneasiness, so he gently placed his book on the table before walking his way towards the lonely, young child.

"How old are you, Mae-ya?" Namjoon questioned, as he neared the girl.

Mae held up three fingers and gave Namjoon a toothy grin.

Namjoon put his hand forward. "Do you want me to read you a story?"

Mae looked up at Namjoon's towering figure with the biggest doe-like eyes, before wrapping her tiny hand around his index finger.

Namjoon guided her to a seat he pulled up beside his. As he read to her, he would occasionally glance away from his book and up at the little girl. He knew, for a fact, that she was having a hard time following along to the story being told because of her still young age. However, this did not stop her from intently listening to the words coming out of the older boy's mouth.