39 | We & Promises

"What's the occasion?" I question curiously, as I watch Jungkook lay out a picnic blanket he had grabbed from the trunk of the Hyundai Palisade he drove to get us here

"What's the occasion?" I question curiously, as I watch Jungkook lay out a picnic blanket he had grabbed from the trunk of the Hyundai Palisade he drove to get us here. "You really kidnapped me late at night and planned all this out for me?"

Now, I don't really know exactly where here is. All I know is that after driving for a while, Jungkook and I are at the edge of the city. He parked us on an open, secluded cliff that overlooks the Asian city that never sleeps, the buildings and the lights becoming a part of a breathtaking sight.

"I didn't kidnap you," Jungkook argues defensively. "In fact, you enthusiastically complied when I asked if you wanted to go for a night drive slash date with me."

He finishes placing containers of food on the blanket, before making his way to the trunk to grab one last item. He then walks over to where he had told me to stay put, a small bouquet of flowers in his hand and a warm smile adorning his face.

I take the flowers from his outstretched hand. "You know, I never expected you to be so romantic. You must really like me, huh?" I tease, causing him to cast his gaze downwards and smile shyly at my remark.

The duality of this man standing timidly in front of me gives me serious whiplash. How he's able to switch from an arrogant and alluring demon to an adorable and soft baby never fails to baffle me.

"Do you like it?" he asks, finally lifting his eyes to meet mine. "The flower, I mean. I asked the florist for advice on what's best to give to someone like you."

"Circus roses," I mutter, admiring the delicate flowers beautifully arranged in my hand. I meet his intense gaze, a smile forming on my lips. "I do. Thank you, Kookie."

"You know your flowers well," he utters, taking note of how I mentioned the name.

"I thought I was named after a flower, so I intensively studied the different flowers and their various meaning when I was younger," I explain.

He nods, biting his bottom lip as he stares at the yellow roses with red tips in my hands. "So, you know what it means then," he states, more so than asks.

Unspoken, yet obvious feelings of friendship deepening into love or deep attraction.

He leaves me no time to respond as he gently pulls on my arms to guide me to our little picnic spot. As soon as we're settled, Jungkook opens the three containers to reveal Jajangmyeon, or Korean-Chinese black bean sauce noodles, for each of us and the bigger container is holding Tangsuyuk, or Korean-Chinese-style sweet and sour pork.

He offers me a pair of chopsticks, before starting to mix his noodles with his pair.

"It's beautiful here," I breathe, my eyes transfixed on the sight in front of me.

"It is, isn't it?" he questions and I turn my head to see his hair being blown gently by the crisp air as he buries himself deeper into the warmth of his oversized hoodie.