one

They say your life will only get better if you make the change. But to be honest the only change I see is the sun and moon switching spots working their magic against the big invisible clock that surrounds humanity.

I feel like a miniature doll kept inside a doll house until the child makes the next move. I just live to live and eat by necessity, my grandma would say.

Tsk.

I have no greed or full desires as to what my future should be. Indeed.

I squint my eyes at the scorching hot sun. It glares angrily with its heat waves attacking my bare back.
Even with my swimsuit under my light shirt, I can feel the burning sensation tingling all over. Not even the cool ocean waves at my feet help.

"That's all you can do. Burn people." I wriggle my nose and let my eyes rest for a moment from the sun.

"Child why do you love to pick a fight with the sun." My grandma looks up at me and snuggles closely.

"I mean it is so hot we can't even properly bake bread without the heat attacking us. It feels like a big oven outside and inside." I frown at the sky as grandma laughs and links her arm with me.

She sighs.

"What would I do without you my child." I look at granny, she had a long white skirt with a soft plain blue blouse and a big sombrero . And of course, her little sandals.

Knowing how my grandma's bakery shop can get tiring at times mostly in this kind of weather, I make granny walk with me by the beach.

Thankfully, we have the beach near our house.

We keep walking around and contemplate the scenery. I look back at our bakery shop. It keeps growing small and small each step we make.

"Granny can I ask you a question?"

We sit on a cold rock and dip our feet into the water.

"What is it my Gisi?" She fans herself and splashes a bit of cold water onto her face.

"When did you discover you loved baking? Or that you know...opening a bakery was your dream... or passion?"

I look at granny, her skin tanned and soft like a baby's. Her skin is wrinkled and delicate but with firm structure. All that dough has made her gain muscles ...uncomparable to the excess arm fat I carry.

Granny laughs again.
"Ahh asking me that again? " She grins and places her hand on mine.

I nod smiling knowing this is not the first time I ask and offer my shoulder for her to rest.

"Well, it was a dream I vaguely caught when I was 7. By watching a chef make delicious cakes and pastries, I would get excited and pretend I had a little bakery too. " Granny laughed at the memory.

"You know what I loved the most about that? Not just the pastries and cakes I wanted, but the smiles of people when they received their cake is what I wanted to see. I wondered back then, how can such food create happiness and pleasure within people!? " She laughed.

"I realized then, when you pour your whole heart to your work, it is as if the other can feel your magnificent effect of love. And efforts as well. You leave a special magic that stays with them. "

Granny glances at me as if reading my eyes.

"You will find yours too. Don't worry you won't have to stay long with me. You eventually have to fly and move away!" She laughs wholeheartedly.

"Granny!!" I whine and hug her as she slowly gets up.

"You know I am not leaving you here! And if I ever get to find whatever that is that I love, I can work with that while staying by your side!"

We both start walking back to the shop as the sun starts cooling down.

" I know. But I also meant you moving away because I want grandchildren."
She nudges my elbow and smirks.

I gasp playfully and pretend to puke.

"Never! noooooo." I shake my head hard making her laugh.

Her wrinkles crinkling as she grins at the thought.

"You know ...you are very beautiful and have such a kind heart my Gisi" She pats my arm as I scoff.

"Those pretty brown doe eyes attracts any guy and your round plumpy lips and elegant small nose. You literally are a princess Gisi!" I laugh and shake my head in disagreement.

"Granny the beautiful one here is you." I kiss her soft cheek and listen to her cheerful laugh resonate against my ears.

Once we reach the back door of our shop, we go into the kitchen and grab some left over bagels.

"I'm just worried...I turned 22 last month and I don't know what my passion is. I don't want to keep working for a museum the whole time." Granny signals if I want orange juice and I wave it away.

"I see. But also, try to enjoy life and take it easy you will eventually come across your motive. You know just be patient and try new things." She continues pouring orange juice into two cups.

I nod and take a bite out of my bagel.

Granny looks at me mischievously.

"Like dating that sweet guy ...Axel."

I choke on my bread and drink the orange juice she hands me.

"These are good!" I gobble up the whole bagel trying to avoid the subject of dating and give granny a thumbs up.

She shakes her head.

"It is 8:50 already! I should head to sleep. Do you work tomorrow?"

She looks back at me as I sit down comfortably in my pajamas.

I shake my head

"No, I don't. I will in 2 days. Actually, I wanted to help you tomorrow since you know, the beach festival and every year on that day we have a lot of people here"

I turn on the TV and switch channels not finding any interesting one.

"Okay but you know you don't have to Gisi! We always have Axel to help us!"

I pause at the sound of that name trying to not fool myself with it avoiding any thoughts of him, only causing pain in the end.

I quickly snap out of it and shake my head, letting her know I will help too.

"All right then. I will go to sleep I am tired from all that walking. Goodnight my sweet Gisi." Granny kisses me goodnight and goes to her room.

After a few minutes, I check to see if she is in her room asleep. Once confirmed, I slowly walk down the stairs quietly to the shop and turn on the lights.

The good thing is that our shop is right below our own house. Now what was that she was going to do? The rest of the orders for tomorrow?

I rummage around for an apron and tie it onto my waist.

"Now let's get started."

I notice the flower bucket Axel gave granny days ago. It still remains fresh.

I scoff and without knowingly smile.

He really loves granny.

If only I could show him that amount of affection the way he shows it to Granny.