38

"Wow, you do remember me! I'm honoured, truly honoured

"Wow, you do remember me! I'm honoured, truly honoured.", Xander said with a grin. I stared at him, dumbfounded.

"How the fuck are you here?", I asked in disbelief. "Well, you see, when two people love each other...", he started.

"I meant how are you not dead, smartass." I rolled my eyes. "You were shot. In the chest."

"Correction: I was shot twice in the chest, but who's counting?", he replied nonchalantly. I glared at him. "Can you be fucking serious for once in your damn life?", I snapped.

"I missed you swearing me all the time.", he said with a smile. I rolled my eyes, but found myself smiling too. I missed him too. So, so much.

"We had a funeral for you, you know.", I said quietly. "Why didn't you come back to us? Why did you let us think you were dead?", I asked, blinking back the tears that were threatening to leave my eyes.

He sighed and silently untied me. I rubbed my wrists, which were now red, and he wrapped his arms around me."I'm sorry, Rina." I sighed and hugged him back.

I pulled away after a while, realising what this meant. "I need to tell Antonio! He shut everyone out after your funeral, even-"

I saw his expression change and stopped talking. "You can't tell anyone about me.", he said sharply. "What? Why not? They-"

"No one, Carina.", he repeated. I frowned, but nodded. He used to almost never call me Carina.

"So why did you suddenly decide to take me?", I asked him. "I missed you." He shrugged. "I could always tell when you were lying, Xander.", I said, rolling my eyes.

"Okay, fine. I was planning on telling you this during dinner, but I guess now's fine. Do you know why I faked my death?"

I frowned, trying to put the pieces together. Then, I realised exactly why. "You never wanted to take over the Mafia, but dad always said you'd have to. You were the oldest brother after all..."

He smiled. "My sister actually has a brain, who knew?", he asked teasingly. "That doesn't explain the reason why I'm here?", I stated, ignoring his comment.

"Well, you see, you remember me not wanting to have anything to do with the Mafia? Well, that was over five years ago. A lot has changed since then..."

"You want to rejoin? But Antonio would be more than happy to let you, so why not just go to him?", I pointed out. He laughed dryly and raised his eyebrow at me. "You think I want to take orders from my younger brother?"

My eyes opened in realization. "You don't want to just rejoin the mafia...you want to take over.", I said slowly. He nodded, looking at me thoughtfully.

"But Antonio would never give up his position, he's spent five years building his reputation.", I told him. He was silent for a few minutes before replying.

"And that's exactly why he has to die."

-

Double update bitchessss :)

A/N in the next chapter bc it's cold and I'm hella lazy.