52

"He had no idea how to act around girls back then, so he just gave her a branch from one of the trees at school

"He had no idea how to act around girls back then, so he just gave her a branch from one of the trees at school. Turns out it was poisonous and they both had to go to the hospital.", Lilith (Antonio's mum) finished off with a chuckle. We all laughed and I scanned the room quickly.

Where did Antonio go?

"Excuse me, I'm just gonna look for Antonio.", I told her with a smile and stood up, walking towards the door. I heard two voices outside, one was Antonio's and the other was recognisable, but I couldn't figure out who it was.

"What's your deal, Xander?" I heard the rage in Antonio's voice and frowned.

So Xander is here, I wonder why?

I could barely make it what they were saying over the music that Carina had put on and crept closer, making sure to stay hidden. "Because if you don't, dear brother, I'll blow up this house right now. With your beloved Grace in it."

A small gasp escaped my lips, but luckily neither of them seemed to have heard. "See this? This little red button sets off the two bombs that I planted on each floor." I turned my head and looked around the two story house.

"You wouldn't dare, mother is in there too.", I heard Antonio say, but his tone sounded uncertain. "I don't care about anyone, Antonio, when are you gonna realise that? I'll do whatever it takes to get my mafia back. It's not even yours in the first place, you're not a blood Romero."

"I may not be a Romero by blood, but I've earned the respect of my men and the title of the Don.", Antonio shot back at him, anger filling his tone.

I sprinted back to the dining room as quickly and quietly as I could, grabbing some paper and marker from the kitchen on the way. I then went straight to the sound system, raising the volume of the music to its highest.

I'm not taking any chances, Xander can blow the roof off this place in a split second.

"What the hell are you doing?", Carina screamed in my ear. Everyone around me was looking at me with confused expressions.

I gathered them all and wrote "Xander planted bombs in the house, we have to leave." on the piece of paper. I raised it up so they could all see it and their eyes all widened. Lorenzo nodded and ushered them all to the back door, leading them outside. "All of you need to get as far away as possible. I'll let Antonio know that everyone is safe."

His mother volunteered to come with and I accepted.  We made our way back to the front door and she stepped outside first."Xander, stop this at once! You're family for Christ's sake!", she said sternly. "I don't have any family.", Xander said blankly.

I frowned as I noticed Antonio holding the papers and a pen in his hand. "Don't sign it.", I blurted out. "He knows what will happen if he doesn't.", Xander said, studying Antonio carefully. Antonio looked at the papers with uncertainty. He was actually considering it.

"He doesn't have to sign them.", I argued, glaring at Xander, who was laughing maniacally. "I guess you didn't hear about the bombs, then?", he asked with a grin.

"That's where you're wrong, Xander. By now, everyone is probably far away and the house is completely empty. So go ahead, press the damn button. I'm sure Lilith wouldn't mind a new house.", I said with a smirk. Antonio looked up at me, surprised.

"You, you bitch! You're gonna fucking pay for this."

Before I knew what was happening, Xander had grabbed me and pulled me inside the house, shutting and locking the glass sliding door behind him. "Grace!", I heard Antonio call out as he ran to the door, pounding on it.

"Open the fucking door!"He took out his gun and shot the glass a couple times but screamed in frustration when it barely cracked.

Bulletproof.

Lilith was next to him in seconds, trying to talk to Xander. "Come on, Xander. You don't wanna do this. How are you gonna take over the mafia if you're dead? Just come outside."

Xander tightened his grip on me, crushing me against him. I couldn't move, no matter how hard I tried. "I don't fucking care anymore.", he turned his attention to Antonio. "You took away my mafia, now I'm gonna take away your girl."

Antonio snarled and began punching the glass, his fists starting to bleed. He didn't seem to notice and kept fisting it, his blood staining the glass. Lilith picked up Antonio's gun and shot it a couple more times, and I heard a crack.

YES!!!

I felt Xander's breath hitch behind me and found an opportunity to escape. I suddenly twisted my body and elbowed him right in the throat. He staggered and I got away from him as fast as I could.

Antonio gave the glass one final punch and it shattered. He ran in, straight to me. "We have to get out of here, now."

He pushed me forward and we began running outside, desperate to get as far away from the house as possible. Once we were a couple feet away from the house I turned around and gasped. I turned to face Lilith, who was next to me and her face paled in realisation.

"Where is he?"

I spun around and caught a glimpse of Xander's bloody smirk in the lobby as he raised his hand and pressed the red button.

I was thrown back with the force of the bombs going off in the mansion and the ringing in my ears was deafening. I opened my eyes and tried to stand up, but my body hurt too much to move even an inch.

Antonio.

I somehow found the strength to stand, the need to find him becoming my priority. Ignoring my aching legs, I made my way to the mansion, or what was left of it. It was now a pile of rubble and fire. Lilith was already there.

She dropped on her knees and began moving bricks and what looked like the remains of a chandelier that had formed a bit towards the front of the house, where there was no fire.

I could make out what looked like a body and immediately began helping her. "Mio Dio... (My God)",She gasped as she opened the hand of the body.

In it's palm was what looked like a wedding ring.

I took it and stood up, studying the ring in my hand. "What's wrong? Maybe he made it out and this is Xander." She looked up at me, tears in her eyes, and shook her head. "I gave him this...for you.", she choked out.

What?

My eyes widened and I dropped to my knees, reality hitting me like a truck. I could feel the tears pouring out of my eyes as I just stared at the ring.

He's gone.

× × ×

The paramedics and fire department arrived not even five minutes later and they immediately rushed Lilith and I to the hospital. I let them carry me and push me around as I stared lifelessly ahead, gripping the ring as tightly as I could in my fist.

A doctor examined me and I paid no attention to what she was saying, focusing on my breathing as if, if I didn't, I would stop all together.

"Grace? Did you hear what I said?", she asked gently, placing her hand on my shoulder and snapping me back to reality. I looked at her, slightly dazed. "Your body took quite an impact and you inhaled a lot of smoke, but thankfully your baby is fine."

I frowned, staring hard at her. "M-my baby?" She nodded, laying me down on the hospital bed. "Yes, now you need to rest okay? I'll come check up on you later."

I laid back bringing the ring to my heart and felt tears springing in my eyes yet again.

Antonio is dead, and I'm pregnant with our child.

-

Keep scrolling xx