Chapter 12

Hope you like it!

"What about this?" The store employee asked as she held another skirt up. 

Carla clapped and smiled. "That one is so cute! That would be great for her 6th birthday dinner. What do you think, Skylar?" 

Skylar kept his eyes locked on the floor and shrugged. "I don't really like it," he mumbled. 

Carla bowed down a little. "What did you say, sweetie?" She asked. 

He caught a glimpse at the skirt again. "I don't like it, mom." 

Carla sighed and looked back at the employee. "I'm sorry that my daughter is being a bit of a brat today. It's really hard to shop for her," she apologized. "But we'll take it." She paid for the dress and asked Skylar is he wanted some ice cream.

"Yes," he answered. They walked to an ice cream parlor next to the clothing store. Carla bought vanilla for her and cookie dough for Skylar. They went back to the car and drove back home.

"Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"When is dad coming home?" He asked. "I miss him."

"Tomorrow, Skylar," she replied. "But aren't you happy that you're hanging out with your mom?" Skylar didn't answer her. They reached home and Carla parked her car. They went inside. When Carla closed the door, Skylar tugged on her shirt, his head down. "What is it, sweetie?"

"I don't like it, mom," he whispered. 

Carla frowned. "What do you not like?" 

His eyes welled up with tears. "People keep mistaking me for a girl and I don't like it. No one wants to talk to me at school except Parker, because they think that I'm a freak," Skylar replied, wiping his tears away. "It hurts, mom. I want to wear normal boy clothes that Parker and the other boys in my class wear." 

Carla looked down at him sadly. "But why do you want to wear but clothes? You're a girl after all." 

He tilted his head up to look her in the eyes. "Mom, I'm a boy," he stated, his lips trembling. 

Carla's eyes twitched. "You're a girl," she repeated, raising her voice a little. 

Skylar shook his head as a stray tear fell on the ground. "I'm a boy!" He screamed. "I don't want to do this anymore! I want to cut my hair and wear normal boy clo-" His face turned to the side. When his cheeks began to sting, his mind processed what happened. Carla hit him. "W-why?" He sobbed. 

Carla had no expression on her face. "Because you say weird things, Skylar. You are a girl and if you don't see it, I'll beat the boy out of you." She took off her belt as Skylar struggled to run up to his room. He locked the door and walked to the furthest corner of his room. She pounded on the door. A few seconds later, the pounding stopped. Skylar sighed, relieved that he was safe for now. He heard the door lock click and he tensed up. She slowly opened the door, no emotion on her face. Skylar was terrified. "Let's finish this quick. I still have to make dinner. And if you ever tell your dad what happened today, I'll kill you!"

Skylar woke up in cold sweat and with a headache. He felt soft sheets under him. He perked up and sat up straight. He observed the room that he was in. He saw a big flat-screen TV in front of him, a closet next to him and an open door that leads to the bathroom. He saw a security camera in the corner of the room. He got off the bed and looked down. He saw that someone changed him into a nightgown. He jumped a little at the sound of the door opening. An old woman walked into the room with clothes in her hands.