Chapter 7

"Except it isn't. It's definitely Barton. What he's done here, what he's been doing for the last few years.. I mean the scene that he left... I gotta tell you there's a part of me that doesn't even want to find him.." Rhodey confesses.

You sigh and stand up from the table. "Will you find out where he's going next?" Nat asked as tears come to her eyes.

"Nat.." Rhodey says quietly, almost warningly.

"Please.." Nat asked from her seat. It looked like she was going to break down right there and then. You walked and patted her back lightly.

"Take care of her.." Rhodey says to you as he turns and his hologram disperses.

Nat put her arms around your waist and hugged you tightly. You softly pet her grown out hair as her tears soak your t-shirt.

Tears start to fell from your own face as well... after the past years it's been hard. Sometimes it's nice to let it all out.

"I'd offer to cook you guys dinner but you seem pretty miserable already.." a manly voice said. You wipe your tears and turn to face Steve.

He held a wide eyed Lane in his arms. He saw you and immediately started squirming in Steve's arms. Steve gently set him down.

Lane ran over to you using super speed and jumped into your arms.

"What are you doing up buddy?" You smile as you pick him up and rest him in the crook of your arm.

"He wouldn't lay down for his nap. He wanted you," Steve says as he leans back to pop his back.

"You just wanted mommy didn't you, baby?" You asked as he nods. He puts his bleached hair into the crook of your neck.

You pat his back and bounce a bit. You giggle as he gives you a wet kiss on your cheek.

"Thank you," You smile. "No problem kiddo," Steve says as he comes and sits in front of Nat.

It was silent for a moment, the air got thicker with awkwardness.

"You know I saw a pod of whales when I was coming over the bridge.." Steve said with a small smile.

"In the Hudson?" Nat asks with surprise.

"Fewer ships... cleaner water," Steve names off.

"You know, if your about to tell us to look on the bright side... um, I'm about to hit you on the head with a peanut butter sandwich," Nat says with a grin.

"You can throw my chips as well," you whisper with a wink. Lane was slowly falling asleep on you.

"Meh, sorry. It's a habit," Steve says as he messes with something on the table.

Another long pauses of silent until Steve spoke up again.

"You know, I keep telling everyone to move on and grow. Some do... but not us," Steve says as you sit in the chair beside Nat.

"If I move on who does this? Y/n's got her hands full 24/7 without help too.." Nat says with a reluctant nod.

"Maybe it doesn't need to be done," Steve makes a good point. Nat glanced at Steve and speaks.

"I used to have nothing, and then I got this. This job.." Nat pauses as she looks at you and Lane.

"This family. And I was-I was better because of it. And even though... they're gone. I'm still trying to be better.." Nat finishes.

"We all are Nat," you whisper lovingly. She looks at you and nods, tears still in her eyes. 

"I think we all need to get a life," Steve says as he dryly chuckles.

"You first old man," you say as you kiss Lanes head.

A sudden beeping erupted from the computer, jolting Lane awake.

Nat swiped the thing up onto the holographic board, thinking it was nothing.

"Oh uh hi! Hi! Is uh, is anyone home? This is, uh Scott Lang, we met a few years ago? At the airport in Germany?" The video camera showed.

"What?" You question as you stand up straight.

"I was the guy that got really big! I had a mask on, you would recognize me!" Scott says.

"Is this an old message?" Steve questioned as he stood from his seat, Nat following his movement.

"Ant man? I know-I know you know that!" Scott adds.

"It's the front gate.." Nat says with amazement.

"I really need to talk to you guys!"
<<<•••>>>
Scott paced back and forth, talking gibberish to himself.

You had successfully laid down Lane for his nap and are now waiting for Scott to explain.

"Tic Tac?" You question as he snaps his head towards you. "Yeah?"

"You good?" You question. "Yeah..?" He questions as he takes a deep inhale.

"Have any of you guys studied quantum physics?" Scott questions.

"Meh here and there," you shrug as you cross your arms.

"Only to make conversation," Nat agrees.

"Alright so.. five years ago, right before Thanos, I was in a place called the quantum realm. It's like it own microscopic universe, to get in there you got to be incredibly small. Hope, she's my...she was my.." Scott paused.

"She's... She was the one supposed to pull me out. But then Thanos happened and I got stuck."

"I'm sorry, that must have been a long 5 years," Nat says apologetically.

"Where did you go to the bathroom at?" You question with fascination. Scott stares at you for a moment.

"I didn't, because that's just it. It wasn't 5 years, for me it was 5 hours..." Scott says slowly, watching your reactions.

Your eyebrows knit together as you glance at Steve and Nat. How was this possible?

"See, the rules of the quantum realm aren't like they are up here. Everything is unpredictable. Is that anybody's sandwich? I'm starving!" Scott loses focus as he walks over to the plate with the peanut butter sandwich Nat was gonna eat.

"Scott, what are you talking about?" Steve questions as we all turn and look at Scott once more.

"Sho.. mwhat I'm shaying ish.." he says with his mouth full. He quickly swallows and continues.

"Time works differently in the quantum realm. Only problem is right now we don't have a way to navigate it... but what if we did..?"
<<<•••>>>
1040 word count. Until the next chapter my hero's😘😘 -Kay😜