The Start of the Path

Morning arrives and Lucas wakes up in his car. He yawns and stretches a bit, then he notices a girl peeking into the glass. He startles her by turning on the car. He then lowers the window to see here eye to eye. She appeared to be a young girl about 11 years old she had black hair and a red scarf around her neck.

"Hi kiddo, aaaaah" he yawns again. 

"What is this thing," asks the girl.

 "Oh this, hmm think of it as a carriage, but that doesn't require any horses," Lucas replies. She suddenly had a sparkle in her eye she seemed to be a very serious girl before. "Hey, kid what's your name?" asked Lucas.

 "I'm Mikasa, Mikasa Ackerman," she replied. 

"Hmm, nice name, I'm Lucas" she tilts her head a little, he then realizes why. "Hehe, I'm sorry it's just that I dont know my last name, all I know is my first name, it seems that I have memory loss," Lucas said, "by the way, what are you doing here so early in the morning and are you alone?"

 She then puts on a serious face and says, "No I'm not alone I came here with a friend, we are picking up firewood." 

"Where is this friend?" Lucas asks. She then points at a tree that is on the hill beside them.

 "He's sleeping like a baby," she says in a serious tone. 

"Hehe, I wonder why?" Lucas jokes. Not a lot of people wake up early to get firewood especially not him. "Where do you live?", Lucas asks. 

"We live in Shiganshina," She said. [Thats far] he thinks, He then notices that she had collected a lot of firewood, for him that seemed like a whole lot for a kid to carry. "Isn't that a lot of firewood, ain't it heavy for you?" asks Lucas. 

"I'm fine it's not a problem, Anyway I better get going, " Mikasa said already turning around and leaving. 

"Hey!" she turned around to see Lucas, "want a ride for you and your friend, I was planning on going to town  to get a few things maybe I could drop you off." 

"I don't want to be a bother," she says while being cautious. 

"Don't worry, go call your friend, I'll put the wood in the car," Lucas said. She then thanked him and ran to her friend. He went and put the wood inside and organized the seats so they could be comfortable.  

"Kids are always full of energy," Lucas said he then looked out at the landscape and thought how peaceful it looked like, but then he remembered yesterday that something awful would happen to this place. [Oh yeah, I have to try my power on someone it didn't work on myself yesterday I already tried. Maybe I can try it on one of the kids."

As soon as he said that Mikasa came with another kid about her age, but he was a boy. "Hey, Mikasa said that you would offer us a ride in your carriage. Thanks," Said the boy.

 "No problem," Lucas said. They all got in and surprisingly the two kids actually liked it in the car. "Cool eh, cushioned seats are way more comfortable than wooden ones am I right," Lucas said and both kids nodded. 

"So what's your name boy," Lucas asked.

 "My name is Eren, Eren Yeager, nice to meet you," the boy said. 

"Cool name kid, I'm Lucas, just Lucas," Eren just like Mikasa was once looking confused. Mikasa then explains to Eren about Lucas's situation. 

"Damn, that must suck to not know who you are," Eren said. 

"Yeah It kinda does," Lucas replies. 

As they start getting closer to the gate many people look and see the car looking at it with strange eyes. Then they get stopped by the gate's guards. "Hey stop!" said one of the guards. Lucas stops and rolls down the windows. "Who the hell are you," asked the guard. 

"Hey Mr.Hannes," said Eren. 

"Oh, Eren, hey didn't your mom ever tell you to not talk to strangers," Said Mr.Hannes, while walking up to Eren's side. 

"What are you talking about, waaa, you smell like a tavern," Eren said. Then there's some laughing and they all look at the three men playing cards while drinking.

"Of course," said Eren. 

"Hehehe, you kids up for a drink," Hannes says. 

"Arent you on watch," Eren asks.

"Yup, watching the old gate we are. Thirsty work being a guard, playing cards only goes so far to chase off the boredom. Little drink now and then bring us up. The hurts of being a guard," Hannes said. 

"How do you expect to fight if you so loose on your feet," Eren interjected while stepping out of the car. 

"Hmm, Now why on earth would I need to fight?" Hannes asked calmly. 

"Why else, what if they break through the wall we would be sitting ducks on your watch," Eren yelled. 

"Eren, kid, please use your inside voice," said Hannes. 

Another guard gets up and says "Hehe, the doc's kid gots some fire in him". 

"Listen, the only thing that those things have done so far is only scratch the wall, even if they did try something, I have a feeling we'd be ready for them," the guard kept saying. 

"A feeling what have you guys done to get ready for them, dad says you guys need to stay sharp," Eren says. 

"Haa, good doctor Yeager. Haa, well can't argue with a man that single hardly spared us from the plague, the thing is he is talking about his scalpel. That what we do isn't as half as important. Hey, no disrespect to your father but a soldier's time behind the wall puts that issue into a whole other perspective. We see them crawling around there mindless dead-eyed(Titans)", Hannes said. 

"Wait a minute it sounds me like you don't think they're all that dangerous," Eren says. 

"Meh", was Hannes's reply.

"Oh great, then at least have the decency to stop calling yourself a Garrison, people might get the wrong idea", Eren yells. 

"Haha, good point. Look at it like this I take a lot of pride in being called a freeloader it means things are good. It's how I can measure peace of mind," Hannes replies. 

"Good? We live in a cage," Eren whisperers while tightening his fist, "All we do is eat and sleep. That's it, end of story. We have the peace and mind of livestock." 

One of the guards at the table starts laughing and says, "man you were right about the kid having a fire, be careful not to cry it out. You coming back to the game or what?" 

"Ya I'll be there," says Hannes. Then Eren and Mikasa (who I didn't notice getting out of the car) come back in. Lucas started the car and started driving slowly. 

Outside Hannes says, "He's just a kid, he just dreams bigger than life really wants him to."

"Hey Eren, "Lucas says while Eren faces his direction, "What you said, back there I think you're right. If you've lived all your lives like this then these walls are just a cage in disguise. They should Stay more alerted even if it's just a waste of time". Eren looks at me with a happy but surprised smile and Mikasa looks at Lucas with a little of a surprised look on his face.

At that moment the church bells ring to tell the people that they were back. That the Scouts were back.