chapter two

Cersei could hear the crash of steel against steel in the quiet morning while making her way to the yard where she knew her brother and son to be

Cersei could hear the crash of steel against steel in the quiet morning while making her way to the yard where she knew her brother and son to be. She smiled at the thought of her second eldest child, she knew she was not the mother that he deserved and had to bite her tongue every time that he mentioned Dorna and Genna because he would show such a founder expression by the mere mention of their names that it always brought a bittersweet taste on her tongue. It was hard to admit that they had done a better job at raising Declan than she had raising Joffrey and the others. She had send him away, but she had to, and the fault lied all on herself because she had done it to protect the others.

Even at a young age, it was clear that Joffrey and Declan could not look more different from each other and it was causing whispers from the servants and lords at the Red Keep to increase, and she would not allow a son of Robert to treat her precious Joffrey claim to the throne.

Even though it was painful to even think about it she could not deny that of her four children she loved Declan the lest. It was wrong for a mother to love some of her children more than others but she could not help herself, not when looking at Declan made her remember Robert and the foolish thought that she once had that they could live a happy life together.

Then one day he came back, looking more like a man than the child she had sent away, and he was everything that she and Robert were not. He was polite even when in distress and remembered the name of so many people that passed through the court from servants to noble borns that the mere thought of remembering so many names and details of people that she did not care about made her almost dizzy, but at the same time it was fascinating to see him already acting like a lord, making connections and keeping people at arms length without looking like an oaf.

No wonder her father was so fond of him, the letter he sent to her complaining about Declan's return being a foolish act had so much anger hidden behind the lines that it shocked her, she was expecting him to be angry of course, he, after all, had named Declan his heir but she was not expecting that kind of rage, she had seen it only once before.

When Jamie had left for the Kingsguard.

When she got to the yard she stopped for a moment to appreciate Jamie and Declan's training, they looked like they were dancing, wielding their swords like it weighted nothing and moving with a grace that was not common to see in duels. She could see the looks the women passing were giving them and could not fault them. They were so engrossed in their fight that didn't seem to notice the stares, but something must have caught Declan's eyes because he suddenly stopped to look at her direction given her a disarming smile.

"Mother" He said already making his way towards her while Jamie watched, trying to catch his breath.

When he was close enough she took his face in her hands, brushing her thumbs on his cheekbones "My brave knight, you shouldn't work yourself so hard"