chapter eight

Declan was descending the stairs, the light emanating from the torch illuminating the path ahead of him as he was getting deeper into the Red Keep

Declan was descending the stairs, the light emanating from the torch illuminating the path ahead of him as he was getting deeper into the Red Keep. He had tried to make his mother see sense and place Lord Stark in a chamber, he was the Lord of Winterfell and should be treated as such since he was not a common prisoner, but his mother was not easy to persuade and was adamant that Stark should stay in the dungeons after trying to steal Joffrey's birthright.

"Declan?" Came a rasping voice, making Declan turn his body in that direction, illuminating the spot where the sound came from.

"Lord Stark" Declan said softly. The days had not been kind to Lord Stark, the man looked older since the last time Declan had spotted him in the throne room.

"What are you doing here, boy?" He said angrily.

Declan signed, annoyed at Stark and the situation "I came here to talk" He handed Stark a flask of water and watched as the man drunk "Sansa pleaded to Joffrey in front of the court today, asking for mercy on your behalf"

The laughter that came out of him was dry and emotionless "Did they laugh?"

"Your daughter humiliated herself in front of everyone to save your life and your other daughter is missing, you don't have a lot of friends right now so if I were you I would be thankful that someone is willing to help them and not laugh in their face" Declan said staring blankly at the man.

At the mention of Arya's name his face fell "Do you have any news about her whereabouts?"

Declan took a seat in front of him "Unfortunately not, but there are soldiers looking for her"

"Your mother soldiers" He said accusingly.

Declan ignored his statement "I will bring news of her when I have them. The important thing right now is for you to ask forgiveness to Joffrey and to proclaim him as the rightful heir"

"You want me to lie? After they murdered my King, butchered my men and crippled my son!"

"Your son is marching south with northern men ready to fight for your freedom, Stannis has the strongest claim and is a respectful commander and I don't think that Renly leaving with Loras Tyrell after my father's death was a mere coincidence" He took a breath before continuing "My brother is stupid but my mother is not, she knows she can't fight the whole realm at the same time so I'm asking you on behalf of your children to bend the knee and ask your son to go back home" Declan angrily whispered.

His eyes widened "Robb? He is just a boy"

"You underestimate your son. I have no doubt that he will show himself capable on the battlefield and that is the problem!" He looked Stark in the eyes "My grandfather has already called his banners and I will stay by my family's side when the time comes. I can't help you if you don't help me"

"You could have prevented all that from happening" The judgment in his voice made Declan lost his patience.

"I could not!" He stood up, ready to leave "Can't you see? If I had acted I would have put my family at risk. I won't make my siblings suffer because of mistakes made by my mother. I'm well aware of the kind of person Joffrey and mother are but I'm ready to suffer the consequences of my actions if that means that Myrcella and Tommen will be safe" He turned his back to Stark and started walking towards the stairs but stopped before reaching the first step "I want to help you, I really do. But I can't help you if you don't help yourself, think about what I have said, please. If not for your life than for your daughter's life"