chapter fourteen

Declan looked around trying to find his uncle Tyrion

Declan looked around trying to find his uncle Tyrion. Lancel had told him that Tyrion needed to meet with him in the market to discuss something that he was not allowed to tell him, the whole exchange was awkward and uncomfortable for reasons that Declan could not understand. He thought that he had a good relationship with his mother's cousin, they both had spent a great amount of time together before he had left to Winterfell. As he walked through the streets the only reason he could think of was that Lancel thought Declan responsible for his brother's capture, something that brought Declan great sorrow. 

The news that had arrived at the Red Keep earlier had made him feel a mix of emotions that he had packed in a box and hid in the back of his mind, he could not allow himself to properly feel all the emotions right now, he had to focus on the battle that soon would reach their door.

It was hard not to think about Renly.

People were not certain about how it had happened, most seemed to think that Catelyn Stark in some way had been the murder while others claimed that it was someone from the King's Guard, and even Stannis himself had been accused of murdering his own brother after negotiations went sour. Declan didn't doubt that Stannis would have the courage to kill his own brother, especially since Renly was between Stannis and the throne. War brought the worst in people, even honored men like Stannis.

Declan turned his head and furrowed his eyebrows when he heard his brother's name being shouted, he followed the sound only to be greeted by a crowd listening to a man's speech. He doubted that they had any kind words to speak about Joffrey.

"Brother fornicates with sister in the bed of kings, are we surprised that the fruit of the incest is rotten?" When the crowd cheered the man continued "Yes, a rat son King"

"It's hard to argue with his statement" He heard Tyrion complaining to Bronn.

Declan approached them and placed his hand on his uncle's shoulder "Can we blame them? The Mad King, my father and now Joffrey. We haven't had a good King in years"

Tyrion turned his head to look at his nephew "You are here, good. We discovered some troubling news about your mother's plan that we need to discuss"

Declan lifted one eyebrow "She does seem too calm about Stannis coming towards us, a dangerous thing if you ask me"

"Stannis has more infantry, more ships, more horses. What do we have?" Tyrion questioned.

"What about your father?" Bronn questioned back.

"He hasn't replied to any of my letters in weeks. He is busy with Robb Stark" Declan answered.

"We won't be able to hold the city against Stannis, not the way Joffrey's planning on holding the city" Tyrion said.

"Dancing King, prancing down his blood-stained doors to the tune of a twisting demon monkey" The man shouted making the crown laugh.

"You have got to admire his imagination" Tyrion said unaware of who the man was speaking about.