chapter twelve

Declan winced as he flexed his left hand, the piece of cloth wrapped around it still a little red from blood

Declan winced as he flexed his left hand, the piece of cloth wrapped around it still a little red from blood. Grand Maester Pycelle had tended to his hand with firemilk, an ointment used to clean wounds and burns, he then left Declan alone in his chamber with a cup of wine to dull his senses a little and take his mind off the pain.

"Another scar? They do say that women like scars but you may be exaggerating"

The cup in his hand stopped in the middle of the air before he could take it to his mouth, he placed it slowly on the table before turning to see his uncle standing near the open door.

"I told you that I would take care of him" Declan said feeling defensive.

Tyrion angrily made his way towards his nephew "When you told me to stand aside and let you handle the situation I thought you were going to scare the man before sending him to the Wall to spend the rest of his miserable life with his balls frozen surrounded by men not stab yourself and send the man to his grave earlier for a crime he didn't commit"

Declan huffed and took a gulp of wine "Those children only sins were to had been born bastards, no one will remember their deaths in a few years but they will spread the news that the Lord Commander stabbed the Prince in a matter of days. Does that seem fair to you?"

Tyrion took the cup away from Declan's hand "Life is not fair" He hissed "That does not mean that we have the right to decide who lives and who dies"

"That's a lie" Declan stated calmly "We were both at war. I have killed, have you not? I had a choice every time, to take or not to take the lives of those at the end of my sword. The ones I killed in the war were more innocent than Slynt, how is it that they deserved to die and Janos Slynt doesn't?"

Tyrion waved his hands on the air exasperatedly "Gods, sometimes you can be as stubborn as your father" He then gulped all the wine from Declan's cup and took a seat across from him.

"I'm not going to apologize" He said after getting tired of watching Tyrion stare at him.

"I wasn't expecting you to apologize"

"And I would do it all again if I had to" He said eying his uncle carefully.

"I don't doubt it"

Declan put his good hand on the table and used his forearm to knock down the cup "Stop staring! Why are you staring at me?" He said angrily.

Tyrion took a deep breath "I'm trying to remember you before you turn into Tywin Lannister" He then looked Declan in the eyes "One day you will wake up and not recognize the person that you are, you are not going to know who Declan of House Baratheon and Lannister really is, you will be a stranger to yourself, and all because of this family, do you think is worthy to lose yourself for the sake of House Lannister?"

Declan blinked slowly, too stunned to respond to his uncle's accusations and before he could form a proper sentence his mother stormed into the room.