chapter seventeen

Lion Heart | Chapter 17
New Allies

Declan slowly made his way up the stairs of the Tower of The Hand, groaning from exhaustion he placed his hand on his shirt where he knew his wound was, still red and angry and a reminder of his encounter with Stannis

Declan slowly made his way up the stairs of the Tower of The Hand, groaning from exhaustion he placed his hand on his shirt where he knew his wound was, still red and angry and a reminder of his encounter with Stannis. He huffed annoyed, it was taking more time for it to heal then Declan was willing to wait, thanks to it he could not train and long walks made him tired too quick.

He took a deep breath when he reached the door, trying to regain his breath and composure. He knocked on the door and slowly entered his grandfather's chamber when the man granted him permission.

Tywin was writing something in a piece of parchment so Declan took a seat in front of him without saying a word, he knew that his grandfather liked to make people wait, it was his way of showing who was in charge of the conversation.

"I heard about your little trick" Tywin said without taking his eyes off the parchment "Very clever and efficient I must say"

"I assure you that what was done to protect the castle and our family was not only my actions, we would all have died without Tyrion here"

His grandfather finally looked at him, his eyes surely piercing his as if he could see all inside Declan's head. He could hear the anger in his tone when he spoke.

"Tyrion" Tywin said slowly, like the words were a burden to pass through his lips "Do tell me, did he also helped you preparing that stupid comment that you thought fit to tell in front of the court, in front of the people that came to our aid" Declan did not know how to respond so his grandfather continued "You thought that it was smart to try and make fun of your brother, your King?" He them huffed and shocked his head "I thought that I had taught you better than this, stupid child games are what you are playing while a war is happening at our doors"

Declan wanted to scream on his grandfather's face. Tell the man how unfair he was being, how he had done everything in his power to assure that their family was safe and away from harm, how he was only a boy doing a man's job and fixing his brother's mistakes day after day without being recognized while people cheered and drunk wine in Joffrey's name, how hard it was to be a bridge between his family and the rest of the world, how painful it was to care for Sansa knowing what his family had done to her, how he couldn't remember the last time he slept for more than five hours because his mind was poisoned with thoughts of death.

But instead, he remained silent.

Tywin sighed upon seeing his face "You have to remember your place. Jugglers and singers require applause, you are a Lannister. Do you think I demand a garland of roses every time I fix someone's mistake? Now a have seven Kingdoms to look after and three of then are in open rebellion" Tywin then took a deep breath "The Tyrells are now our allies and we can't afford to lose them" He said eying Declan.