chapter six

It was hard to keep a secret

Declan spent days battling with himself to decide what to do with Lord Stark, he even asked Varys to discover what Stark was doing with his free time to see if anything could give him a clue of the extension of his knowledge. It turned out that Stark had been doing a lot of asking around, something that troubled Declan because he knew that Varys wasn't the only one with spies in the city, and if Varys could keep track of Stark so could Littlefinger and his mother.

Varys discovered that Stark had borrowed a book from Grand Maister Pycelle but he did not know the contents of the book. He also had sent the captain of his guard, Jory Cassel, after Jon Arryn's squire, a man that had been knighted after Jon's death and that Gregor Clegane killed in the tourney before Lord Stark could talk to him. The thing that intrigued Declan the most was that Stark had been spotted visiting a blacksmith that Jon Arryn had visited as well, when he asked Varys why he simple told that Declan needed to see with his own eyes.

That's why he was currently walking towards the slums of Flea Bottom, the place was crowded with people and the smell was terrible but Declan did his best to appear happy. It was important that people saw him as someone reachable, so he made sure to wave, great the people and to also give a few coins to the ones he saw more in need.

When he reached the establishment he noticed that he had been here before. The owner, Tobho Mott, despite being a foreigner from the Free City of Qohor, was well-regarded for the quality of his work and had received the patronage of many knights and even Declan had his armor fixed here before.

"What can I do for you, my Prince?" Tobho asked approaching Declan and bowing his head slightly.

"I have heard nothing but good things about your establishment, in fact, the Hand of The King himself told me to come here. I wish for a new dagger and to hear whatever you told Lord Stark when he last visited you" Declan said smiling at the man trying to put him at ease.

"Yes, of course" He said nodding "Gendry!" He shouted and the boy that was working on a sword looked up and started to make his way towards them.

Declan eyes widened when they landed on the boy, he looked like a younger version of his father.

"Yes?" He said not looking Declan in the eyes.

"What has Lord Stark asked you?" Declan asked before the man could interrupt.

"What Lord Arryn asked me before he died, I told him that he wished to know about my mother and what she looked like"

"That's all?" Declan asked, feeling dizzy.

"Yes, mi'lord"

"I wish for a new dagger, with the Baratheon stag on it. I will pay more to have it delivered soon" He looked at any sigh that the mention of the Baratheon name could cause in the boy but found none. Apparently, he did not know who his father was.