chapter nine

It was almost dusk when Declan reached his grandfather's camp

It was almost dusk when Declan reached his grandfather's camp. He was escorted by two Lannister soldiers to Tywin's tent, the last glimpses of the sun making his armor shine, and as he got closer he anxiously swallowed the nervousness that was suddenly creeping into his bones.

It had not been an impulsive decision. Declan knew in the moment that he saw how pleased his brother was while watching an innocent man dying that he needed to leave King's Landing. It was useless to stay since he had no control over Joffrey's decisions and he knew that he could be more useful on the battlefield with his grandfather.

"I assume your mother doesn't know about your whereabouts?" His grandfather said when he saw him, one eyebrow raised. It sounded more like a statement than a question.

"I have no doubts that she sent someone after me once she realized I was no longer in the city. If it makes you feel better I left a letter" And one for Sansa as well, but he didn't need to know that.

Tywin waved his hand dismissing it "It doesn't matter, you are here now and we have a lot to discuss"

Declan took a seat by his grandfather left side and cleared his throat "You will not be pleased with the news that I bring" When the only response he got was his grandfather's stare he continued "Ned Stark is dead"

Tywin took a deep breath before asking "And how that happened?"

"Joffrey said that treason would never go unpunished as long as he is King" Declan started to anxiously toy with the ringer in his finger "For a moment I thought that he would do the right thing. I had spoken to Lord Stark, you think the man would have lied without a little push? He could have been a valuable hostage, he would have stopped the north's rebellion"

"Your mother shouldn't unleash a mad dog if she had no control over it" He huffed "Now we have Stannis that sees himself as the rightful heir by right of blood, Renly claiming the throne with the help of the Tyrells and a furious Robb Stark looking for revenge"

"The Tyrells?" Declan asked confused.

"Yes, Renly married Margaery Tyrell and now is being backed by the largest army in this war"

Declan wasn't sure how to feel about the news. He had visited Highgarden when he was just a boy and had befriended most of the Tyrell family, to hear that he would now be facing not just his friend Robb but his uncles and the family he once dreamed of joining brought him a dreadful feeling.

When he looked at his grandfather he knew that the man could sense the internal battle he was fighting.

"Tyrion has returned today with men of the mountain clans led by a man called Shagga. He has promised them weapons, armor, and glory" His grandfather said, clearly disgusted with the idea of a Lannister involving himself with such people.

Declan sighed relieved, at least his uncle was safe now and wouldn't be used as a hostage. Suddenly, Declan's eyes widened "We have another problem"