chapter eleven

Declan stared at the letter in his hand, feeling dizzy with the speed that his thoughts were appearing in his head

Declan stared at the letter in his hand, feeling dizzy with the speed that his thoughts were appearing in his head. He licked his lower lip, his mouth suddenly dry as he gripped the parchment harder, blinking slowly while he stared at it hoping that it would disappear when he opened his eyes.

It was in vain.

While he knew that it would happen sooner or later he was hoping that he would have more time. A little part of him, the foolish part, had fantasized that his uncle would not really act upon it, hoping that his love for his family would be bigger than his sense of honor.

Stannis doesn't consider us all family anymore, his brain reminded him, He spent his whole life resenting father and now that he knows the true he will crush us all in a blink of an eye if that is what takes for him to get the throne.

Taking a deep breath he read the letter again.

All men know me for the trueborn son of Steffon Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End, by his lady wife Cassana of House Estermont. I declare upon the honor of my House that my beloved brother Robert, our late king, left only one trueborn heir, the boy Joffrey, the boy Tommen, and the girl Myrcella being abominations born of incest between Cersei Lannister and her brother Jaime the Kingslayer. Declan, the true heir, has sided with his mother and closed his eyes to the truth, betraying the memory of his father and dishonoring his ancestors. By right of birth and blood, I do this day lay claim to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. Let all true men declare their loyalty. Done in the Light of the Lord, under the sign and seal of Stannis of House Baratheon, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.

Declan slid his finger lightly over the word abomination, feeling goosebumps in his arms at the choice of words. He knew that if Stannis defeated them he would have them all killed for treason, there would be no mercy for him, his siblings, and his mother.

The seed is strong.

Jon Arryn's last words suddenly coming back to him. The man was more dead than alive when he had whispered that to him and Declan had not paid much attention to it, but now with the amount of information that he had the pieces seemed to be finding their places in the puzzle.

"Declan, are you all right?" His uncle's words brought him back to reality and he slowly lifted his head, only to be greeted by the concern faces of his mother and uncle. His mother looked pale, her eyes trying to decipher his thoughts.

He cleared his throat, trying to sound more confident then he was really feeling "Yes, we will not answer to their lies. Let the realm know the kind of man Stannis is and what he is capable of doing to achieve his goals"

He then turned his eyes back to the parchment, not wanting to hold a conversation with anyone in the room, wondering when lying had become so easy to him.