chapter eighteen

Lion Heart | Chapter 18
⎾  We Must Bleed

Declan softly tapped his fingers on the wood table, his eyes never leaving the door

Declan softly tapped his fingers on the wood table, his eyes never leaving the door. They were all waiting for his uncle Tyrion to arrive, and his grandfather was adamant that he would only release the news that came in the letter that arrived that night when all the family were present.  He trailed his eyes from the door to the man, his cold eyes not betraying a thing, Declan knew that it had to be something serious otherwise he wouldn't summon them all while it was still dark outside. Joffrey was practically vibrating on his seat, the excitement palpable on his features. His mother while not showing the same enthusiasm as Joffrey still had a small smirk on her face.

He told them the contents of the letter, The thought made Declan bite his tongue firmly and his throat close slightly, he knew that his relationship with the man wasn't the same, he could feel Tywin's eyes in the back of his head every time that he was in the presence of the Tyrell family, his new fondness for them seemed to have put a wall between grandfather and grandson, I'm not a child anymore, He continued his line of thoughts, He can't use me like a puppet anymore and it's not giving me any more attention because I'm not what he wanted of me, he will ignore me until I'm of use to him again.

He trailed his eyes back to the door when his uncle Tyrion entered, the new Master of Coins had dark circles under his eyes, a sign that he was taking his duties seriously.

This family will draw all that we are until we are only a shell of ourselves and of no use to them.

Finding Joffrey's excitement as disturbing as Declan his uncle started to speak "You killed a few puppies today?"

"Show him" Joffrey said happily, he and his uncle shared a look, both thinking that whatever was in that letter could not be good "Come on, show him!"

His grandfather was impassive as he handled the letter to Tyrion, who looked at it and started to read it out loud "Roslin caught a fine fat trout. Her brothers gave her a pair of wolf pelts for her wedding. Signed Walder Frey" He then looked at Joffrey "Is that bad poetry or it is supposed to mean something?" He questioned.

"Robb Stark is dead! and his bitch mother" Joffrey said while laughing.

Declan's breath got caught in his throat, his hands turning into fists as he tried to even his respiration.

"Write back to Lord Frey, thank him for his services and command him to send Robb Stark's head. I'm going to serve it to Sansa at my wedding feast" Joffrey told Grand Maester Pycelle.

Declan practically growled as he turned to face Joffrey, his whole body vibrating with fury "Shut up! One more word and I'm going to kill you with my bare hands!"

There was a moment of utter silence as everyone seemed shocked by his words, except his grandfather who apparently was expecting such behavior and was eyeing him with judgmental eyes.