chapter thirteen

Declan massaged his temples trying to smooth his headache while reading his uncle Stannis' notes from when he was Master of Ships

Declan massaged his temples trying to smooth his headache while reading his uncle Stannis' notes from when he was Master of Ships. A large portion of the Royal Fleet that had been based at Dragonstone had joined Stannis's faction when he declared himself king and he had been reported building new ships at Dragonstone. Their only advantage was that Stannis had a very small land army and only had the allegiance of a few Houses from the Crowlands, most of them had decided to side with his uncle Renly, Stannis' brother.

He lifted his head when he heard the knock on his door, he left a deep sigh when he saw Ser Arys Oakheart "Please tell me that you are not here to bring more troubling news"

Ser Arys bowed his head with a small smile playing on his lips "My Prince, I wanted to tell you that Megan has settled in the house you provided"

Declan smiled, feeling relieved "Finally some good news"

"Working?" He asked when he saw the parchments spread on the table.

"Yes" He said looking back at the notes "Seaswift will be escorting Myrcella to Dorne, including King Robert's Hammer, Lionstar and Lady Lyanna. It's not ideal to spare these ships while at war but I won't leave Myrcella unprotected"

Ser Arys nodded "These are good ships and I'm sure the men would give their lives before letting anything happen to the Princess"

Declan lifted an eyebrow "I wouldn't trust them with my sister even if my life depended on it, that's why I want you to go to Dorne, to look after my sister"

Ser Arys looked shocked "My Prince, are you sure?"

Declan stood up and patted Ser Arys's shoulder "There is no better man for the job"  He then stretched his arms "Come on, I'm tired of looking at my uncle's notes, Stannis handwriting is terrible and my head is starting to mix the words"

When they both left his chamber and started to make their way towards the halls Declan was surprised to find Sansa looking pale and accompanied by a man of the King's Guard.

Declan furrowed his eyebrows "Are you feeling well, Sansa?"

She looked at him, her eyes full of fear "King Joffrey has requested my presence in the throne room"

Declan signed while taking her arm in his as they started to walk "Your brother won The Battle of Oxcross, their army in the Riverlands moved into the Westerlands and attacked a host of House Lannister reinforcements. The host under the command of Ser Stafford, my grandmother's brother, was destroyed and Stafford was killed" When she kept silent he continued quietly "There is no shame in being happy for your brother's victory, just don't show it to the others"

She smiled softly and gave a gently nod.

When Declan opened the doors of the throne room he was greeted by the sigh of Joffrey, holding his crossbow, and lords and ladies watching him escort Sansa.