chapter seven

Despite the incident involving his uncle Jamie and Lord Stark and the fight between him and Declan's father, Stark had been reappointed as Hand of The King and tasked by his father to run affairs until his return from a hunting trip

Apparently, the stress of having to deal with his friend always confronting him was too much to King Robert, and he needed an excuse to spend some time away from Eddard. It was perhaps the only time Declan felt sorry for his father instead of pity, he had lost someone he dearly loved or thought so, his parents were dead and his siblings didn't have a good relationship with him. Stark was the closest thing his father had of a brother at the moment and he had grasped the chance of having him here to make him company and to have a distraction of everything that he had to deal with Cersei and the others Lords, but instead of finding a friendly face he found another person to confront him in the matters of his life and how he was dealing with the realm. Despite being sorry Declan knew that it was his father's fault, he could have had a happier life and helped the realm but instead, he decided to be selfish and to sulk for the rest of his life making others miserable as well.

While Declan was happy that Stark hadn't been throw in the dungeons he was not happy with him staying and ruling, it was dangerous to have him so close to the Lannisters especially since Stark knew secrets that if exposed could cost the lives of the members of his family. He wished his grandfather was here, sending a raven would be too dangerous and he knew that he could not tell his mother because she would end up doing something harsh that could possibly start a war with the north.

His grandfather would know what to do.

The villagers from Riverrun that arrived bearing news of atrocities committed by raiders, who Stark deduced to be Gregor Clegane by the description, did nothing to patronize the hate between the two houses, especially because Stark had sentenced Gregor to death and summoned his grandfather to trial.

Despite the tense environment, Declan had kept his promise to Ned Stark. Keeping an eye on his daughters was not an easy thing, Arya had basically become a ghost since she started her training and Sansa was always attached to Joffrey like a lost puppy, despite what happened in the road she still seemed to be excited about their future wedding.

With Ser Barristan away with his father on the hunting and his uncle still mad at him because of the scene in front of the brothel, Declan found more time to spend with Myrcella and Tommen.

He was on the yard teaching Tommen to yield a sword with Myrcella cheering when his mother found them.

Anticipating the tantrum that she would throw for catching him giving Tommen lessons he started talking before she could "I know I should have asked you before I started training him, but I'm being really careful" He looked at her trying to read her but her face was blank.

She looked at him with her lips pursed in a thin line for what seemed ages "Your father was hurt during the hunt. He wishes to see his children"

Declan slowly lowered his wood stick to the ground, still watching his mother looking expectanly at him.