chapter five

Declan stood quietly behind his chair waiting for Lord Stark to arrive

Declan stood quietly behind his chair waiting for Lord Stark to arrive. They had barely set foot in King's Landing when he was informed that Grand Maester Pycelle had called a meeting of the Small Council, no doubt to make Lord Stark aware of everything that was happening in the city. Declan could only imagine the look on Stark's face upon seeing the amount of money the crown has spent since his father took control of the Kingdom.

He then looked at Lord Petyr Baelish, popularly called Littlefinger and the Master of Coin, imagining how Lord Stark would react seeing him. Everyone knew the story behind Petyr and Lord Stark's wife, how he tried to gain her hand but only managed to get wounded by Brandon Stark. Declan knew that Lord Baelish was a skilled manipulator and used his ownership of brothels in King's Landing to both accrue intelligence on political rivals and acquire vast wealth, if he and Lord Stark were to start a conflict Stark would lose, and even though Declan was still angry at the man for adding a burden on his shoulders he did wish for the man to succeed in the Capital.

The realm had bled too much on behalf of his father.

His thoughts were interrupted when Lord Stark entered the chamber.

"Lord Stark" Varys greeted the man.

"Lord Varys"

"I was grievously sorry to hear of your troubles at the Kingsroad, we all prayed for Prince Declan's full recovery"

"Shame you didn't say a prayer for the butcher's son" Stark said seriously.

Declan winced at the mention of Mycah, since the boy's death he hadn't had a good nights sleep. Training and reading had been his only friends on the journey since that night, apart from Arya who seemed to be avoiding her family as much as he was.

Lord Stark looked at him like he hadn't realized his presence "Declan, what are you doing here? You're not part of the Council"

Declan cleared his throat "I am not but grandfather requested my presence in the Small Council, you will see that the crown has a great debt with House Lannister. I'm here to supervise how the money is spent and to keep grandfather aware of it"

Stark seemed a little confused but continued with his greetings without comment.

"Renly, you're looking well" He said moving to his uncle.

"And you are looking tired from the road" Renly joked "I told them this meeting could wait another day"

"You have a Kingdom to look after, the poor can't wait" Declan interject. He loved his uncle but the man was not one for politics.

"I have hoped to meet you for some time Lord Stark" Baelish interjected while smiling at the man "No doubt Lady Catelyn has mentioned me"

"She has Lord Baelish, I understand you knew my brother Brandon as well" Stark said staring at Petyr.