chapter nineteen

Lion Heart | Chapter 19
⎾  Bittersweet End

Declan had heard the news of his uncle's arrival but had yet to see the man himself, he had had plenty of opportunities to present himself and was aware that others seemed to know that too

Declan had heard the news of his uncle's arrival but had yet to see the man himself, he had had plenty of opportunities to present himself and was aware that others seemed to know that too. Even knowing it he was still skeptical, he had done everything in his power to try and put the knowledge that his uncle was not just his mother's lover but his siblings' father but his mind seemed to take pleasure in tormenting him. It had been easier when the man was not present and just a second thought compared to the other tasks he had been charged with, but now knowing that he could see the man if he turned the corner and wasn't careful to avoid him.

That was why he was currently in the training grounds sparing with Garlan while Loras made sure to supervise their surroundings.

He was interrupted from his thoughts when Garlan not so gentle hit his head with a wooden sword "With your mind so distant from your body you will never beat me, not that I'm complaining but I just thought that you were a lion and not a kitten" Garlan said playfully.

Declan huffed and massaged the spot in his head that had come in contact with the wood "You do realize that being a prince and all that I could have your hand taken, right?"

Garlan laughed hard, his hand covering his stomach, the sign brought a smile to Declan's face, he quite enjoyed how he didn't seem to choose his words carefully around him.

"What troubles your mind, Declan?" Garland asked in a more somber mood.

His smile immediately disappeared as he debated with himself if he should share not just his thoughts but his feelings as well, but before he could open his mouth he heard his name being called. He turned his head to see Jamie approaching them, his eyes immediately went to his uncle's hand that was no longer there.

"Nephew" He said awkwardly.

"Uncle" Declan said emotionlessly

Garlan realizing the tension between the two excused himself to go back to his wife.

"You look well despite the circumstances" Declan added when Garlan was at a safe distance.

"You know me, it takes more than little wolves to take me down" Jamie said trying to lighten the mood and alleviate the tension, when all Declan did was to stare at him he continued "I heard you had quite the trouble here"

"You could say that" Declan said, now crossing his arms.

"Look De-" Jamie tried to say but got interrupted.

"I know what you did, what both you and mother did," He said taking a step toward his uncle "The only reason my sword isn't stuck inside you is because of my siblings, I know the despicable person my father was but what you both did puts this whole family at risk, not just that but it compromised the whole Kingdom, I had to fight my own blood in order to let Joffrey, that despicable person, in the throne deciding our lives as if it was just a game. Good people died for it, people that neither you nor mother will ever acknowledge"