chapter sixteen

LionHeart | Chapter 16
Aftermath

Declan groaned as he gained conscience

He could feel the softness beneath him tickling the skin on his back and a light weight on top of him, but that did not make the pain any less uncomfortable. He felt like his body was on fire in some places, he tried to open his eyes but the effort to open his eyelids was too much for his body to handle and the little glimpse that he got made his eyes hurt and him wince at the brightness.

He heard a sharp inhaled of breath and his name being called before someone arms were wrapped around his torso and tears being dumped on his neck. He winced at the new weight on top of him, his stomach felt like it had been punched and he suppressed the urge to throw up.

"Declan?" Cersei asked worriedly while releasing him from her embrace.

He took a deep breath before he attempted to open his eyes again, he blinked slowly to adjust to the light before focusing his attention on his mother.

"Mom?" He asked quietly and with a raspy voice, his throat feeling dry. The events were still fuzzy in his head as he tried to remember how and why he ended up injured in bed.

She smiled watery at him and helped him drink some water while placing a gentle hand on his cheek "How are you feeling, love? You made me quite worried"

"The side of my stomach hurts and I feel like someone used my face to train throwing punches" He said after he stopped coughing while trying to sit on the bed properly.

She shushed him and pushed him gently back to bed "You were stabbed on the side, lost a lot of blood" She answered, her lips pressed on a thin line as she avoid looking into his eyes.

"Oh" Was all he could say as the events came back rushing through his head and making him dizzy.

The battle, Joffrey standing there dressed in his armor looking like a hero, the bright color of the wildfire as it destroyed the ships and soldiers, Joffrey leaving him and their army to save himself, Stannis crushing them and nearly killing him.

"How did we win?" Declan asked as he remembered being on the ground.

Stannis would not have spared my life in a moment of kindness, that's for sure, He thought as he observed his bruised knuckles, Something must have made him leave before he could finish.

His mother's lips quivered as she stood up from the bed and began pacing "Father showed up with the Tyrell army and they crushed Stannis' army, unfortunately, Stannis himself was not found within the dead, he must have escaped before we could get him"

Declan frowned while playing with his hands, ashamed of himself for being such a fool and rushing after his uncle, his anger had got the handle of him and he nearly was killed for it. He looked up when he heard a sniff only to see the tears rushing down his mother's cheeks.