Chapter 2

Ramona POV

Entering the elevator, Jackson says, "I just had a great idea. Why don't we call our friends over to keep us entertained? That way, we're able to have fun and tell everyone about my injury before school starts."

That's not a bad idea, actually. "So long as the adults are willing to have a few more kids at the house, I think that that'd be fun. When we get down there, let's ask." I say, getting my phone out. "Who would we invite?" I ask him.

"Well, I'd probably invite Ben and Alex, and then who would you invite?" he says, grabbing my phone to start a group chat with them.

"Um, probably Aria and Sky. Give me my phone, kid. In case you forgot, we have to have our parents approve of this idea first." I say, stealing it out of his hand.

When the elevator finally arrives at the parking lot, Jackson asks, "Hey, Mom, can Ramona and I have a couple of friends come over when we come home?"

"Sure, honey. Who's coming over?" DJ says in her normal, peppy tone of voice, while everyone else gets in Kimmy's car.

"Ben, Alex, Aria, and Sky." I say as I walk over to the car and start buckling into the backseat while DJ helps Jackson buckle up in the passenger seat. Grabbing my phone, I start a group chat with Jackson, Aria, Sky, Ben, and Alex and type into it: Wanna come hang out at my place in an hour? Jackson and I are bored and in desperate need of entertainment. :). Instantly, Aria responds, Yeah, sure. Sky and me are at my place rn, but can make ourselves move our butts in around an hour. "Aria and Sky are down, but Alex and Ben have not responded yet." I say, hoping that the boys can come so that I don't have to listen to Jackson complain about having to hang out with girls all afternoon. He loves us, so it's weird he complains so much about this.

"If the boys aren't able to come, I plan on hiding in my room until the girls leave." Jackson says, further emphasizing my point. Just then, Alex responds to my text, saying, I'm down. Free food and something to do.

"Hey, Deej, Mini Steve AKA Alex just responded, saying that he was coming too. His exact words were 'I'm down. Free food and something to do.'" I say, not surprised at his response at all. You see, Alex didn't get the nickname Mini Steve for nothing; he might eat more of our food than Steve does. Surprising, I know.

"Finally. I haven't seen that kid in forever. Hey, Mom, why don't you invite Steve over so that those two can eat all of our food? And so that you don't lose your mind, having more children than normal rampage through the house." Jackson says, earning a slap from me on his good arm. "Ow, what was that for, Ramona?" he says, massaging his arm that I slapped. 

"For making it seem like we want to have friends over just so that DJ has to go to the store and buy us more food. Dodo bird." I say, earning a nod from DJ. Looking down at my phone, I see that Ben has responded, saying, K. But I'll be there with my own bowl of popcorn, and should any of you want some, yours. But we're using Ramona's bowls. "Ben said he's coming over with popcorn if we want some and using our bowls for storage. So, who wants popcorn?" I say cheerfully. You see, Ben is the type of person that lives for drama. Don't get me wrong, we all do, but Ben shows up on our doorstep with a bucket full of popcorn, just in case something good happens.

"So, everyone's going to be there in about an hour. When we get home, I'm going to change out of this and then get food set up so that we can have a mini party. Wait, are the others going to be there too, or will it be just us?" I ask DJ.

"It'll just be us, Aria, Sky, Ben, Alex, and Steve. Can you guys try to stay upstairs while Steve and I clean downstairs?" she says, navigating through the San Fran traffic in order to get us home on time to set up before our friends show up. "Oh, and from now on, no taking the stairs together please." DJ finishes, pointing to the neon green brace on Jackson's arm.

"I was planning on us being upstairs anyways, so that works for me. And from now on, more caution will be exercised when I am going downstairs to prevent further injuries to pedestrians." I say very dramatically.

--

*At home, 10 minutes before mini party*

"I think that's everything." I say, looking around my now-clean room. Wait, there's something I forgot to do, what is it? Maybe Jackson will know, I think. "Jackson!" I yell across the hall to his room.

"What?" he says, confused on why I yelled his name. Looking around my room, he says, "Dang. When this room wants to be clean, it can be. Ramona, I thought you said you were changing for the party?" That's what I was forgetting!

"Nothing, but could you go get the food? I know how much our friends love food, and I also know that I have none up here yet. Besides, I have to get changed for the party now." I say, running over to my closet so I could pick out what to wear for the party. Since it's a warmish day, I decided to wear black ripped jeans with my dark green, camo crop top. Looking in the mirror, I realize that I have yet to brush my hair today, and have to run to the bathroom so that I can quickly brush my hair and make myself look presentable.

Leaving the bathroom, I hear a knock at the door. "It's always open!" I yell, sprinting down the stairs. When I get there, I see that DJ already opened the door and that Aria, Sky, Ben, and Alex are here. "Jackson, get down here, kid." I yell upstairs, hoping that he can hear me. "The squad is back together!" I say, hugging the girls when Jax comes down stairs. 

"What's up, guys?" he says, giving the guys one of those man hugs. We haven't been able to have one big hangout, all 6 of us, since July. Which is obviously way too long, considering that it's mid-August now and school starts in a few weeks. 

"Dude, what happened to your arm?" Ben asks, hands around Aria's waist. That's nothing new; those two have been dating since 7th grade. 

"I may have sprained my wrist because Ramona and I fell down the stairs together when Mom called us for something." Jackson says, attempting to glare at me, but just looking constipated. 

"And when you two were falling down the stairs together, did you injure your colon? Because you look super constipated right now." Alex says, taking a picture of Jackson's face and showing it to him, causing us to all laugh. 

"Kids, could you please go upstairs and continue this... interesting conversation so that I can clean?" DJ says, reminding us of our previous agreement that all children will stay upstairs as much as possible. 

"Okay. We have the stuff in Ramona's room, so let's go up there so that we can continue talking about my hurt arm. And, apparently, my hurt colon." Jax says, trying to get us to pity him.  I suppose he will never learn that you get no pity for spraining a wrist, but laughs for looking constipated.

Everyone but Jackson and I race up the stairs, we know better than that. After all, that is how he sprained his wrist. There's an awkward silence that, being me, I feel the need to break. "Let's play Truth or Dare when we get up there. We'll have Ben make us some popcorn and then start, because we are about to spill the tea and be bumbling idiots up there." I say, starting up the stairs behind him.

"Works for me. Wait, I thought you brought popcorn upstairs for us?" Jackson says, seeming confused. 

"I did, but Ben's popcorn is the best. And I'm 100% certain he has some on him right now, because I've never heard of Ben going anywhere without his special popcorn, have you?" I say, feeling good that everything is back to normal between the two of us.

"In that case, Ben, we need popcorn!" Jax yells when we get upstairs. Ben instantly pops out of my room and rushes down to the microwave, explaining to DJ why he needs to be down there. See, Ben has created the perfect popcorn recipe and refuses to tell any of us what it is, so that he can make billions off of it one day.

Truth or Dare should be fun, but I have a feeling some interesting things are going down when Ben comes back up here with popcorn.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm done typing words now, so I guess I'll need to come up with truths and dares. I already figured one out, but the others are things I need the squad's help coming up with. I shall bring this to group chat. 
Oh, and Happy Memorial Day 2019. Thank a veteran. 

Later

~Ry