Chapter 11

Chapter 11: You Belong With Me

Jackson POV

While Aria and Ramona are talking, Tommy drags me over to the swingset so that I can push him. He has that look on his face; he's going to ask me something important. "Jackson, I know about Rocki and you breaking up. I also know about how you like Ramona- not as a sister, or as 'just friends', but as a girlfriend. But you're hiding it from everyone because you don't want us to know about it, because you're afraid of being hurt. So, I'm going to ask you right now, and you have to answer honestly, do you like Ramona as a girlfriend?" Holy crap. Was it really that obvious? Granted, I'm not that subtle about anything I like, but still. Much more important though, why is a three year old so wise?

"Tommy, what are you talking about? I only told the adults and Ramona about that. In fact, I told Ramona first. How do you know about me liking her? And why is a three year old boy so wise in the realms of dating?" I ask, deeply confused.

"Kimmy came in and told us. I figured that you'd tell her first, she is your best friend after all. Anyways, I'm a lot younger than you, but I remember the way you looked at Lola, and I know the way you look at Ramona, and you looked at Lola like she was amazing and perfect, but you look at Ramona the same way Mom looks at Steve, Aunt Steph looks at Jimmy, Kimmy looks at Fernando, and how Uncle Jesse looks at Aunt Becky. Totally, helplessly, in love. As for how I'm so wise, I'm clearly the smartest Fuller." Tommy says, smirking. Wow. I never thought of the way I look at her; I mean, clearly I like her, but I never knew about it the way Tommy does.

"And, Wise Old Tommy, what does she think of me? How does she look at me?" I ask, suddenly giving all of my life's problems to him.

"She looks at you the same way you look at her; and it's completely adorable. But, she doesn't know it yet; out of respect for whoever you're dating or obsessing over. I think a part of her- a good-sized part of her- knows she likes you; she just never lets it show. Ramona wants to risk absolutely nothing about y'alls friendship, so she keeps the part of her that likes you a secret." Tommy says, kicking his legs way up high into the air while swinging.

"Thanks for the help, little man. Why don't you go grab one of those cookies before the wave of toddlers eats them?" I suggest, head spinning with all of this new information.

So, Ramona kind of knows about her feelings for me and I'm, to quote Tommy totally and helplessly in love with her. He's wrong about the me part, though. I like her, not love. There's a big difference there that Tommy doesn't understand yet, mainly because he's not old enough. He can see the way we look at each other, and remember that, but he can't know exactly how we feel. Though he is quite observational.

Wait, why am I taking love advice from a three-year-old? I'm 15, he's 12 years younger than me. I really need a better love expert, but when I talk to the adults, people find out. Ben's been with Aria since 7th grade; maybe he knows what to do. 

While Tommy's having his snack, Ramona jogs over to the swingset and says, "Jax, remember the question you asked me earlier- the one about dating?"

"OOH! Jackson's got a girlfriend!" the crowd of toddlers surrounding us say, making kissy noises.

Hands on his hips, Tommy walks over to us and says, "Puh-lease. Who is this girlfriend?" Not at all off putting for a three year old to be doing that.

"Ramona! Ramona! Ramona!" the children shout, making accompanying kissy face noises. How mature.

"You guys are bonkers. That'll never happen. Jackson clearly likes her, but either she's really good at hiding her emotions or doesn't like him back. Let's go get the popsicles Miss Randi set up." he says in that slight sarcasm that makes everyone but me and possibly Ramona or Aria think he's serious. That kid is too smart for his own good.