~♥~ Chapter 28: Choose It ~♥~

Oh, I wonder when will you see
That you have, you have to stop,
And choose it."
                                           -Thorsen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phil's POV:

I took a breath as I closed my book. I rubbed my eyes to stop them from itching. I checked my watch. It read 1:26 pm. I sighed and went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee before I started studying again.

As I walked towards the kitchen, I heard someone shuffling around. I walked in to see Renée preparing something for herself.

"Where's Fredrick?", I asked. "On leave, I think.", she shrugs. "Studying?", she asks, looking at my tired eyes. I nod. She smiles and sets a coffee pot on the stove.

I walk over to her and grin. "We're growing up, aren't we?" She nods. "You're going to be married soon, and be a proud father too. And I'm trying to pass tests here. So much I have achieved.", she rolls her.

I laugh and then say, "I think you've achieved the most of all us. What we went through, you were so young. Yet you handled everything like a mature person. Yes, I was the one who handled the kingdom, but you were the one who handled Mother. That was very brave of you."

She looks up to me and hugs me tightly. I'm surprised. Renée doesn't show any affection to anyone, only hostility. I hug her back and she lets go, and stirs the coffee, as if nothing happened.

I smile and mess up her hair a bit. She turns around to smack me, but I move away she almost trips. We both look at each other and burst out laughing.

Our laughter is interrupted by our Mother, who looks anything but amused. She was accompanied with a very serious Mr. Deveraux. We both stop laughing at once.

"Phillipe, we need to talk right this second. It's crucial.", Mother said, her expression solemn. I furrowed my eyebrows and sat down.

"Aren't you supposed to be studying right now?", she suddenly asks. "Yes Mother, but-", I begin.

"Exactly. This is the issue here. You're supposed to be studying, but you're busy doing something else most of the time.", she says sternly. I look at her in confusion.

"What she means is that you're paying less attention to your studies and more to other things nowadays.", Mr. Deveraux said quietly. I looked at my Mother.

"Mother, I am well aware of my studies and I am doing them regularly. At this instance also, I was studying for the past four hours, and I just took a short break for some coffee.", I pointed to the pot.

"It's not just studies. You have to pay attention to your Royal duties too. You will be king in exactly six months. But you are way too busy in other things. And you have forgotten your family too, you seem to be hanging out with others more than us.", she continues.

I stare at her for a second before I realized who she was talking about. "Others, meaning Amelia?", I questioned. "Amelia and her friends. You spend time with them more than us. And you are neglecting your studies because of that. Look at your scores. They'll tell you."

I got angry. "Mother, Amelia is having my child. The heir of this country. Your grandchild. She is my responsibility, and should be yours too."

"I agree she is your wife to be and all, but you need to balance things out. You have lost all sense of responsibility when it comes to the kingdom.", she says.

"Mother, she is not only my fiancee, but she's going to rule this kingdom with me soon, as my Queen. And she is my family now. There is no comparison between her and the kingdom.", I argue.