Fourty Three

The next evening after the fight me and Archie planned to order ourselves a chinese takeaway and watch some movies . I was busy debating what to order when the doorbell rung .
"Luna are you expecting anyone " i shake my head and Archie wanders to the front door opening it but no one was there but something on the step caught his attention .
"Archie what is it ?" I say coming up behind him and noticing the two wrapped parcels . One addressed to Archibald Andrews and one addressed to me . We took them inside and unwrapped them inside were a dress and a tux along with an invitation.
"We need to find Jughead " i say closing back up the parcel and grabbing my jacket. All of us met up at the diner to work out what was going on .
"Someone left ours at the door" Archie said to the others
"Mine, too. My dad or Jellybean could have found it"
Mine was waiting for me downstairs, at the speakeasy" Veronica added in
"Are we sure they're not fakes? " i suggest
"I don't think so" Jughead said i could see the cogs turning as he was trying to put the pieces together.
"The invitations say not to tell anyone and not to bring our phones"
"So its a trap" Veronica said
"Was there ever a doubt? We don't really have a choice " Jughead said before adjusting his beanie. We turnt up all dressed in our formal compleatly confused as to what was going to happen.
"Good evening children " Penelope said as she lead a few of us to seats round a large table .
"Now, Agatha here will show you to your place" she said to me as i turnt i saw sister Woodhouse .
"Sister Woodhouse" i say in shock . She led me to a seat which i took sheepishly .
"Agatha was one of my mentors. She cared for me when I was an orphan at The Sisters of Quiet Mercy. Taught me everything I know about poisons."
"The murdered nuns. You did that? " Betty asked
"Oh, loose ends.Such a bother, aren't they? "
"Loose ends"? Is that what we are? " Betty asked
"Oh, gosh. No, not you. You are featured players , The sons and daughters of the original Midnight Club"
"Jug, what's happening? " i say looking at him
"I've almost figured it out" he said
"Oh, have you? Because if anybody could, it would be you, Mr.
Jones. " she paused "But first, two more guests.I believe you know them already" all of us looked to the door to see a face we never thought we would see again . The black hood walked with the gargolye king by his side . I felt as if i had stopped breathing , Jughead looked over to me and mouthed that it was all going to be okay .
"What have I told you? No masks at the dinner table " Penelope said and Hal removed the black hood before joining everyone at the table.
"Oh my god " Betty said quietly
"Wait King before you demask yourself .Hellcaster care to take a stab?
"Sure" Jughead started off "Arthur Conan Doyle famously said, Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. In which case, whoever it is underneath that mask must've had a connection to Hal and to you, Penelope. But it's not Jason, because he's dead. The one corpse that hasn't been accounted for and who was last seen by the Black Hood " he said looking around at us all
"Chic" Betty and Veronica said. The gargolye king removed his mark and Jughead was right . However Chic was different his hair wasnt white blonde any longer .
"What the hell? Since when does Chic have red hair? " i say looking at his new red hair .
"I'm guessing since he started working with Penelope. Doing her bidding.
But this was after he got the Gargoyle symbols tattooed on his back.It's why Ethel said the Gargoyle King was Jason, Because you called him Jason.
Cause you dressed him up like Jason " Jughead said connecting all the dots .
"You didn't murder Chic " Betty said
"After i chased him through the woods, I recognized a kinship in him and I spared him.He begged for mercy and pledged his life to me in service of my mission"
" But it wasn't just your mission, was it, Mr Cooper? "Veronica asked
"Maybe not at first, but eventually you started working with someone else who also had a grudge against Riverdale.In the middle of all that stuff with the Black Hood last year, my dad was having an affair with Penelope " Betty added in.
"Yes, I did cultivate your father's murderous impulses, it's true.To take my revenge on a town that allowed me to be sold as a child bride to the Blossoms . Your parents knew , I told them.And they did nothing but mock me, And years later when my Jason was murdered in cold blood, do you think one of them reached out to me? No, they were too busy ignoring the rotting, fetid truth that Riverdale is a hideous and cruel place, twisted and cursed.And the Black Hood and I, we were doing quite well.Exterminating its sinners."
"Until my dad got arrested" Betty interupted
"Yes but that was fine because Hal's disciple came to me, lost, and I gave him purpose. To continue our great work" she carried on.
"But not as the Black Hood.So instead, you made him dress up like the boogeyman.The Gargoyle King.You introduced G&G to our parents 25 years ago, and then reintroduced it this year to Chic. "
"His name is Jason" Penelope corrected
"Who gave it to Ben Button.Who started playing with Dilton Doiley." Jughead stated.
"Then Ethel Muggs" Betty added in
"And then G&G spread like a virus or a poison.The true mastermind behind it all the true king is you, Penelope." Jughead finished.
"Oh.Well done.Well done , but now it's time to play one final round with you the midnight children " she said as she looked around the table.
"To what end? " Betty asked
"Say it's to reveal your true nature.To prove that you are as dark-hearted as the town that birthed you"
"And what? If we win, we escape? " Jughead asked
"You won't win"
"So what happens if we lose? " Veronica asked
"Well, then, your parents will feel the pain that I felt.The death of a child.
Could there by anything more dreadful? "
"You're nuts" i say still taking everything in. All of a sudden we heard a bell .
"It is time, Come to the lawn for the gathering" all of us gathered outside in the dark , Penelope stood infront of us infront of a line of gargolyes.
"The task before you is simple. Make it through the woods, survive the night. You will be tested, each of you. Refuse my tests or try to escape, and my Gargoyle minions will kill you" she says as all us looked at the long line in front of us.
"May the final quest begin! " she announced all of us looked at one another not sure of what to do.
"I'd start running if I were you" she warned . All of us quickly turnt on our feet and began to run into the woods . As we got further into the woods we began to walk quietly.
"They could have gave us outfits that are easier to run in" i say adjusting my dress slightly.
"The good news is, if Penelope wanted us dead, we would be.She wants us alive. " Jughead said to us all
"Yeah, well, at least long enough to complete her bizarre social experiment." Betty said.
"Yeah, or die trying" Archie added in
"We don't even know where to go" Veronica whined
"Actually Enchantress, we might " Jughead said noticing a sign on a tree
"Come on, let's go" Archie said leading the way. Jughead soom found a card .
"Its a red paladin card , Archie its for you " immediately i could tell we all got nervous. "The Red Paladin must conquer the grizzled beast . He must compete alone in the pit to save his home " he finisned before putting the card back down.
"What is a grizzled beast ?" I ask . All of a sudden we all looked at each other as we heard a distant growling .
"Oh crap not again" Archie said running his fingers through his hair . We got closer to the pit my stomach dropped as i saw the guy Archie was against.
"Archie " i say grabbing onto his wrist.
"Dont do this " Veronica said joining me next to him "that guy is eight feet tall and jacked " i say to him .
"Its just a fight , ive been fighting all year " he said trying to reassure us .
"Dont forget i survived a real bear attack remember ? But if i dont make it you know i love you and tell Mom and Dad that too " Archie said before taking off his Jacket and making his way to the pit , all of us stood along side . Jughead wrapped his arm around me and the other two huddled closer to me . The beast had instantly punched Archie before Archie managed to land only a couple . He was knocked back by the blow tripping slightly as this happened the beast picked him up throwing him towards the rocks . The fight carried on and Archies chances of making it out of there were looking slimmer by the minute . He looked like he was in so much pain and there was nothing any of us could do about it , the two of them were in a struggle on the floor but i notice Archie pick up the bone that was beside them and he swung it over the beasts head which knocked him down compleatly he done this a few more times before getting himself out of the pit to rejoin the group.
"Hey come here " Veronica said helping him up . Me and Betty let out a sigh of relief.
"Archie are you sure youre okay?" She said continuing to hold him up
"Apart from every inch of my body"
"What do we do now ?" Betty asks
"We keep moving ive already spotted some more clues . This way " Jughead said leading the way . Soon enough we were stopped by Jughead finding a card.
"Luna its you " he says making me take a deep breath
"Okay what does it say?"
"Its called saint vs sinner . Its telling me we will find instructions at the spot " all of us carried on until we saw a chair with someone tied on if with a sack over their head . In front of them were three cups.
"What the fuck " i say looking at my surroundings
"Once again you must compete alone . The first step is to remove the sack " Jughead instructed . I slowly lifted the sack off and threw it to the floor to see Sweetpea with tape over his mouth.
"Oh my god Pea!" i say before peeling off the tape which he winced at slightly.
"Are you okay ?" I ask him crouching down infront of him holding his cheek in my hand.
"Im fine . Them gargolyes didnt go near you did they because if they layed a finger on you "
"Pea im fine dont worry " i say taking another breath before standing up again .
"Jug what else does it say " i ask nervously
"Youre boyfriend is a sinner he deserves to be punished . In front of him are three chalices , one contains poison . The chalices are labelled for the saint and the sinner it is your job to punish him"
"What !" I say shocked . "I cant do that " i say as my hands begin to shake .
"Failure to complete this part of this quest will result in execution of all players "
"Oh god " i say my voice was trembling slightly . I walked over to the chalices and two were labelled as sinner and one was labelled as saint which was my one.
"I cant do this " i say as tears began to form in my eyes.
"Luna .. Luna look at me " Sweetpea said making my eyes flick to his "baby i promise you everything is going to be okay . Give me the chalices "
"I cant . I cant !" I say hysterically
"Luna you can , you need to okay . Go pick them up " he said so i went and picked the two chalices and walked over to him.
"Listen calm down alright " he said to me quietly " your gonna need to pour them for me " he said because of his hands being tied behind him .
"Pea im not going to let this happen" i say as i look down at the chalices .
"Dont you dare . Dont you dare !" He said trying to break free from the chair.
"Im sorry i have to " i say before downing both of the two chalices and then my one afterwards.
"Well done " we heard clapping and Penelope walked towards us. "You won . You have shown me the darkness in you child . You would put yourself at risk for a sinner , maybe that makes you just as bad as him ."
"Hes not a sinner and neither am i " i say as i begin to untie him from the chair once hes up from it he wraps his arms around me and leads me towards the others.
"Are you feeling okay ?" Archie asked me
"I feel fine " i say taking a deep breath
"Weve got to get to the next quest " Jughead said pointing to the direction we had to go in .
"Ill come with yous "
"No your not "
"Youve just drunk poison , theres no way im leaving "
"Please i need you to sort something out "
"What ?"
"You and the poisons need to be ready for when this is over to come and get us "
"Yeah thats a good idea i think she still has plenty of things up her sleeve " Jughead said as he found a card nearby .
"Also you dont have to worry Sweetpea if were quick as there is an antidote at the end but we need to be quick "
"Okay ill gather the serpents and the poisons " Sweetpea says before running off out of sight . All of us carried on until we reached the next quest which was for Veronica or otherwise know as the enchantress.
"The Fate and the Fortune challenge . Before you are six chalices , each filled with gargolyes blood. The enchantress must choose her closet companion , they will each take turns spinning the bottle and drinkinking from the chosen chalice . But beware for one of the chalices contains a lethal rapid acting venom" Jughead read
"Seriously spin the bottle " Veronica said looking at the display infront of her .
"More like russian roulette" i felt a bit uneasy so i sat down on a log .
"Luna are you alright ?" Jughead asked
"Im fine " i say coughing slightly
"Thats suicide . I refuse " Veronica says throwing her hands up.
"Refusal to participate in the challenge resulta in the immediate execution of the remaining party members. Remember we are watching " Jughead said quietly as he read further on.
"Vee the scroll says you have to choose your closest companion . I volunteer "
"Betty no "
"Its okay i have faith" Betty says stepping up the table . Archie joined me on the log .
"Luna . Weve completed our challenges were going to get the others through it and were getting the antidote . Im not letting anything happen to to you or the others . After all we are an Andrews " he said making me laugh a little . Both of us focused our attention back onto the challenge .
"Im having a diabolical sense of deja vu " Veronica said as she spun the bottle remebering the first game of spin the bottle and her kiss with Archie. They kept on with the challenge until there were two left .
"50-50 odds " Veronica said as she took the final spin she took the drink from the chalice .
"Okay " Betty said shakily as she took the chalice which she knew had poison in it . As she went to pick it up Veronica snatched it from her and downed the liquid.
"Veronica why did you do that ?" Betty said
"Because i love you B " Veronica said as tears ran down her cheeks "youre my best friend"
"I love you too Vee "
"Remarkable Enchantress . Youve completed your challenge and proven your loyalty ." Penelope said
"Of course it was a character challenge , the game was testing if you had honor and loyalty . None of the chalices were poisioned " Jughead said realising.
"On the contrary all the chalices were poisoned . You know how it goes you will get the antidote if you complete the quest . Tik tock " she said before leaving. All of us carried on walking to find the next challenge but Archie pulled Veronica aside.
"Hey i need to say something . I dont know whats going on with you and Reggie , hes my friend but i love you. Veronica i dont think ive ever stopped loving you " he admitted .
"Archie the night of the fight nothing happened with Reggie after you showed up . My heart ached for you because i felt the same way . I love you Archiekins . For whatever good that does for us now "
"Hey im not letting you die tonight im not letting any of us die tonight " Archie said before kissing Veronica.
"Lets go " Archie said as he led her back to us three. We found the next card which was a hellcaster card.
"Jug youre up " Betty said picking up the card "the battle of kings only one shall leave the kingdom of Eldervair " she read and we all watched as Chic came walking out . Chic swung what looked like something metal but i couldnt really tell . He struck Jughead .
"Why are you doing this ? Why be the gargolye king ?"
"Who doesnt wanna be King ? Who doesnt want blood sacrafices in their name ?"
"Wow okay" the two got into a struggle which felt like it went on for too long . Chic had his hands round Jugheads throat and was strangling him . Betty began to panic she didnt need to as Jughead grabbed a rock and hit on the head knocking him out . Jughead slid his beanie back on his head.
As he walked over Betty hugged him .
"Are you okay ?" He gave her a nod i began to feel quite disoriented .
"Its penelopes poision , weve got to keep moving " Archie said as he wrapped his arm around me .
"Come on " Betty said as she led us
"Wait i still dont get it " Archie said as we carried on walking "Chics got red hair because Penelopes pretending that hes Jason Blossom ?"
"Can we explore the craziness that is Oedipus Riverdale after we get the antidote and out of these damn woods ?" Veronica said
"Maybe figuring out how all of this is connected is exactly what we should be doing " Betty said
"Hal , Penelope and Chic . They created this unholy trinity with direct links to everything bad that has happened in the last three years. Its like Jason Blossoms death begat the Black hood which begat the Gargolye King. " Jughead said .
"But the Gargolye King existed before Jason was killed " i say quietly
"Then its a case of serpent eating its own tail . Its a vicious cycle of never ending madness that turns back on itself over and over again until someone breaks the chain " He finished off .
"Looks likes it my turn " Betty says as she walks up to the table with a box on it . Before she opened it she turnt to Jughead .
"I love you "
"I love you too " she opened the box to see a gun with a note attached saying one bullet. Betty looked up from the gun to see her Dad standing opposite her .
"You know how this has to end . You have to kill me , Betty. Thats your heart , thats your truth. You cant deny your destiny "
"Dont make me do this , please " Betty said her voice breaking gripping the gun.
"Either kill me and get the antidote, or i will kill you and your friends " he said before holding up a gun aswell. "You have to till the count of three . Either shoot me or i will shoot you "
"One " he said slowly , Tears began to run down Bettys cheeks
"Two " all of a sudden we hear a shot ring out and Hal fell to the floor gripping his shoulder , blood covered his hand and he groaned.
"I will never be like you Dad " she said before slamming down the gun onto the table .
"Enough ! Good god Hal " Penelope said as she walked up to us all "you cant be trusted to do anything , you were a terrible serial killer . Useless " she said before putting a gun to his head and pulling the trigger . Instantly Jughead wrapped his arms around Betty to stop her from seeing. Archie walked over and took the antidote.
"And what do you think youre doing ?"
"Claming our prize " Archie said " we won didnt we ? We survived the night " he continued on.
"We proved we are better than this town " i say
"You my dear arent looking too good but what your saying may or may not be true " Penelope said.
"Kill them , kill them all !" She shouted
"Come on !" Archie said as we all began to run , gargolyes ran behind us weapons in hand . I was struggling to run so Jughead took my hand pulling me along . We heard a scuffle behind us and turnt to see Archie on the floor.
"Archie !" Veronica shouted before getting him up and running together . We reached the trucks where Sweetpea and Cheryl had groups of serpents and poisons .
"Take cover " Cheryl shouted and we all crouched down and the poisons began firing arrows taking down gargolyes .
"Serpents go !" He shouted and they began to run forward along with some of the poisons . Sweetpea crouched down next to me wrapping his arms over me. All of us girls took a mouthful of the antidote.
"You had me worried sick " Sweetpea said as he lifted up my chin
"Im okay i just wish you wasnt brought into this " i say before kissing him .

The gargolye king . The red Dhalia . The black hood . Chic was in jail , Hal Cooper was dead finally . Only Penelope Blossom managed to slip away into the night . Riverdale belonged to us once again. All we had left of our Junior year was prom .