Chapter 20

She took a deep breath before speaking again. "Surgery went well but we found the gunshot wounds right over his right knee and his chest. He has slipped into a coma." "What??" I felt a hand rub my back but it just seemed to make it even worse. "Now he came out of surgery fine but his loss of blood caused him to fall into an even deeper sleep than he was before." "How long will it last?" A dude asked while stepping up. "Um we really can't put a date on when a patient will wake up from a coma but all we can do is have hope." I shook my head and wiped the falling tears off my face. Everybody was silent until the nurse spoke again. "You all may see him through a window. He is in the ICU so only 2 people will be allowed in the room. You can sign up to stay over night." I said "Can I sign up?" "Yea s-" "No no no." A lady said shaking her head. I frowned and waited for her to continue. "Excuse me?" "This is my son. His family should be in there, not some girl I don't know." I shook my head trying to contain my anger. Everything in me wanted to hit this lady in her mouth but I reframed myself from even responding disrepectfully. "Fine." I said sharply. "But Andre would want me in there anyway." "Whatever." She mumbled. I turned my body so that I wasn't facing her anymore. "Well she is the mother so it's only right miss." I scoffed. "I didn't say it wasn't." I looked over to see all his family staring at me in disappointment like I was a horrible person. I sighed and walked towards the restrooms. I walked up to a sink and bent over it trying to breath. "Skye?" I looked up to see Andre's older sister Tera approaching me. Me and her are actually cool. "You ok?" She asked motioning my shortness of breath. "Yea I'm good it's just my asthma acting up." "You need something?" "No." I responding quickly. "Ok... Sorry about my mama by the way." I stood up staright shaking my head. "You shouldn't be sorry for anything you didn't do anything." "I know but still... She's just... Well you know." "Mmhmm." "Your going to stay right?" I shook my head. "I don't even know. The looks and attitude I was getting seemed like I was very unwanted." "Dont leave because my family want to be a bunch of bitches." I chuckled a bit. "I'm serious, fuck what my mama or the family gotta say about you. They dont know you but my brother does. Hell he talk about you all the time around them."  "I don't know why she would say that then. Like I didn't matter" She sighed. "You don't matter." I frowned deeply at her. "Come again." "Not like that. You matter but in her eyes you don't. My mama is jealous. Her son is off with a beautiful female he is in love with that he plans on spending all his time with. And to top it off she hasn't met you officially yet." "Yea well she wanted to, I think that may be different now." "Truth is it may be but hey it is what it is." I rolled my eyes of the thought of how this new found relationship between me and Andre's mom was going to be like. She chuckled. "Girl I know trust me I been there and back with my mama. Just be the one that's there when he wakes up... Like the other ones weren't. You and him against the world..." I looked up at her and frowned to see the serious look on her face she's never had. I nodded and she walked out.

******************

I stared at his body through the glass on the hospital bed. There were so many wires and machines hooked up to him I almost wanted to cry. His mother was laying next to him sleeping in a chair and his brother was standing in the window looking at the city. I felt a slight tap on my shoulder. "Excuse me, miss?" I swiftly turned my body towards the man's voice. "Visiting hours are over." I sighed scratched my head. Then looked over at Kamari. "We can't get just a few more minutes?" He shook his head. "Sorry we actually let you stand here for an extra 30 minutes. From the looks of things it looked as if you two needed it." "Um ok well thanks." He nodded and we walked away and out the hospital.

************************

Two Days later Skye POV

I woke up in the middle of the night from another nightmare about Andre. I sighed and turned over in bed. I texted Tera on any updates about Andre.

Me 2:12am: "Hey is he up yet?"

Tera 2:14am:"No...Sorry." I sighed and laid my phone next to me forcing myself back to sleep.

Kamari POV

"That was Skye again?" She sighed. "Yea. Second time tonight." I shook my head. "I don't know why they just won't let her come in here." "Cause you how my mama is Kamari she is-" "Jealous... I know. It's just ridiculous to me." "My mother is ridiculous. Trust me i know what I'm talking about." I smiled. "Don't you always?" She shook her head. "I'm s-" "Serious." I said cutting her off again. "No Kamari fo-" "For real though." "Shut up you irritating." I laughed. "Aright I'm done..." "So um Andre told me you have a baby on the way." I gave her a serious look. "When he say that?" "About a month ago... Which is off to me cause I though you were with Cynthia.." I shook my head. "Always in somebody business. When you gone have some shit happen so we can be all up in yo shit?" She laughed. "Dont worry about me we talking about you. You can't be doing these girls like this Kamari. You know this." "I didn't cheat on Cynthia.. my baby mama is 5 months pregnant I think." She was silent. "Are you envovled?" I shook my head not wanting to look her in the eye. "And why not?" I sighed. "I don't even know." "See that's not good at all. Fix it." "I can't do that." "Why?" "Her and Cynthia don't get along too well." "Thats don't mean nothing. You have a BABY on the way. You understand that right?" "I'd rather not talk about it T." She sighed. "Ok I'll back off." "Thanks." I sat back in my seat trying to go to sleep.

*************************

Skye POV

"Morning." I said to jannah while walking into the living room. "Goodmorning how did you sleep?" "Not good but I'm ok." I sighed and sat next to her. "Stop stressing Skye. It'll be ok. What time you going up there today?" "At 9 when it opens." She nodded. "You working tonight?" "No." "You haven't been 4 days in a row. Your boss coo with that?" I shrugged "I don't know and I don't care. I'm thinking about quittiing anyway." "And going where?" I shrugged again. "Dont know and right now I don't care." "Ok. Well can I go up to the hospital with you? I have a doctor's appointment at 10 and it'll be much better if we would ride together." "Shit I forgot you had a doctor's appointment today." "It's ok dude." "Dont you find out the sex of the baby today?" "Hopefully I just hit 5 months some days ago so maybe." "Want me to come?" "No it's ok." She got up off the couch and walked to her room. "You gone cry?" "No!" I shook my head. The doctor said her mood swings would get worse in the second trimester so I been dealing with it.

**********

After Jannah got off on the floor for future mothers and children I went up to the ICU to see Andre. I went straight to the back when I got up there and looked through the glass to see no one in the room. I looked around to see no one standing around. I walked up the to the receptionist. "Excuse me.." She looked up at me and smiled. "Yes?" "Can I get into this room please?" I said motionng his room. "Lost your key?" I smiled playing along with it. "Yes unfortunately I did." She stood up. "It's fine I'll get you in." She pulled out the key card for his room and let me in. "Thank you." "No problem here's your extra key." She handed it to me and left. I walked over to Andre with no hesitation and sat at his bed side holding his hand.

"Andre... It's me Skye. I love you so much." I rubbed his hand and held onto it tighter. "Please wake up..." I sighed and sat back in my seat not letting go of his hand. I