The sorting

The doors open to see Mcgonagall with her signature stern look. I look at her and couldn't help but wonder if she was part of Dumbledore's plan. Did she betray me? Did she ever actually care about me? Even if she did I would never be able to look at her the same way. Not after years after year she would dismiss my concerns. Especially not after fifth year where she basically told me to suck it up when I had come to her after my first detention with Umbitch pleading with her for help.

"Thank you Hagrid" Mcgonagall thanks the gentle giant. He nods and walks through the door and into the great hall without another world.

She leads us into the anti chamber just off from the great hall and starts her speech "The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room.

'The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

'The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." And walks away just like that.  Whoever thought it was a good idea to leave a group of eleven year old's unattended for a unknown quantity of time is just an idiot. They were just asking for fights to happen or for a curious student or two to wander off and get lost. I shake my head coming to the conclusion that it was Dumbledore's idea because from what I've learned from experience almost everything bad can in some way be linked back to Dumbledore to some degree.

I could only sneer at her speech that was obviously bias towards Gryffindor. While she was talking she held contempt for Slytherin and joy/pride for Gryffindor. Though I gave a smug smirk when Mcgonagall  pointed out the dirt on Ron's nose.

When the speech got to the part about your houses being your families I just shake my head in disagreement. Remembering at least once in every year when my house or the whole school for that matter would turn their backs on me. Or when Ravenclaw girls would torment Luna for being different. Stealing her stuff or teasing her. Ravenclaw is suppose to be the house of the intelligent how there head of house hadn't saw through Luna's act I will never know. It had been obvious at least to me that Luna used the mythical creature 'nargle' as a safe word for 'bullies.

I look at my boys who looked nervous about the sorting but didn't let it be seen by any of the other first year. "Don't worry the sorting isn't anything dangerous nor do you have to take a test" I whisper to them reassuringly. They both visibly relaxed but looked even more curious about what the sorting could entail. Before Neville could ask the question I know was just on the tip of his tongue we were interrupted by a loud boisterous voice 

"Yeah i'm her best friend, were going to go to Gryffindor together and to tell you the truth I think she's got the hots for me" Ron was bragging to anyone who would listen.

Draco snorted in amusement. Ron got red in the face I could just see the steam rushing out of his ears. "What, you think that's funny do you? Let's see bleach blond hair, self-righteous attitude and over the top robes you must be a Malfoy." He spat at my cousin and I look back and forth between the two remembering when their roles where reversed. He then turns to me before Draco can retort completely ignoring Neville who looked ready to pounce on him at any second. "Hello beautiful you must be new around here. Why don't you step away from the soon to be death eaters and come over here with me. You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Holding out his hand with a smirk thinking I would fall for his 'charms'. I look from his hand to his face slowly before bursting out laughing. Ron gets redder than his hair.