Chapter Nine

Ridley woke on Friday morning feeling stiff, sluggish and devoid of any energy. She rolled over on her comfy warm futon and looked at her phone. It was time to get up but her body didn't want to move just yet. She reached up to slap her cheeks in an attempt to wake herself up.

"Oh, come on body, it's Friday, we're going to the aquarium today, stop being silly." She groaned as she attempted to sit up.

Her body protested and she flopped back down on her futon with a sigh. Rolling over again, she pulled the blankets up around her as a sudden chill overtook her. If she skipped breakfast, she could sleep in for another fifteen minutes, maybe she'd feel better. She closed her eyes and willed herself back to sleep. As she drifted back to sleep, the Todoroki family sat down to a silent breakfast in the dining room.

Fuyumi looked to her two younger brothers and her father as they sat down for breakfast. Her brother's both looked anywhere but at their father, refusing to acknowledge his existence. Meals had always been quiet and tense in the Todoroki household, until Ridley had arrived. Since the bubbly youth had arrived, mealtimes had become much more comical and on occasion dangerous. Everyone appeared to be waiting for her to make a loud appearance as she had for the past several mornings, she'd been staying with them.

After a few minutes, they all looked around the room, checking her usual popping spots. Fuyumi's gaze drifted above Shoto where Ridley had landed the morning before, Shoto looked to the open hallway leading to Ridley's room, Natsuo casually looked under the table where she had appeared for dinner the night before and nearly gave herself a concussion when she tried to jump to her feet not realizing she'd appeared under the table. Endeavor glanced above the table where she appeared most often.

They waited for another few minutes expecting the faint popping sound that always announced her arrival. When nothing happened, Endeavor got to his feet and pushed himself away from the table. He made his way to Ridley's room.

"Ridley?" He called her name and knocked on the door.

There was no answer.

He knocked once more, "Ridley?"

Nothing.

He pushed open the door. Ridley was sound asleep. Her cheeks looked flushed with fever. Endeavor frowned and stepped forward before kneeling next to her. He placed a hand to her forehead, his frown deepened as he felt the heat radiating off her face. She had a fever.

Her bright golden green eyes fluttered open. She looked surprised to see her mentor leaning over her and for a moment wasn't sure if it was a dream or not. She reached up and poked him in the forehead before breaking into a fit of giggles.

Endeavor shook his head at the girl's silly behavior. "Ridley, what are you doing?"

"Making sure you're not a dream." She giggled.

"So why are you still poking me?" He asked with a long drawn out sigh. If she'd taught him anything, it was patience.

"I dunno." Ridley laughed.

He swatted her hand away and shook his head again, "are you well enough to go to school?" He asked unsure.

"Yep." Ridley beamed and as if to prove her point snapped her fingers on both her left and right hands. She vanished from her futon with a faint 'poof' sound. There was a soft 'pop' in the bathroom followed by a loud thud as Ridley fell onto the floor. "This isn't the kitchen." She grumbled.