Chapter Ten

Saturday morning in the Todoroki estate, Fuyumi, Natsuo and Shoto sat down for breakfast. Their father was usually gone most weekends so he could look after a crazy intern at his agency. The aforementioned crazy intern was now staying with them. Endeavor stepped into the kitchen receiving a curious look from Fuyumi and a scowl from his sons. His gaze flicked to Ridley's empty seat and he had a strange sense of déjà vu as his children followed his gaze and all looked to the bubbly girl's empty seat. Though it had only been a short time, it felt as if the bubbly girl had become a part of their family, like a crazy cousin that possibly needed to be committed. It was never a dull moment.

"Is Ridley okay?" Fuyumi piped up softly realizing her younger brothers also wanted to know but weren't going to ask their father for anything.

Endeavor frowned, "I don't know, she had a fever." He glanced at the clock on the wall, if he didn't leave now, he'd be late.

Sensing his reluctance to leave, Fuyumi offered her father a smile, "we can look after her. I'll make her some rice porridge."

He nodded and turned to leave, disappearing down the hall that led to Ridley's room. He paused outside of her door and knocked quietly. There was no response. He knocked again and paused. Once again, there was no response.

"Ridley?" He called her name.

Silence.

Endeavor slowly opened the door to her bedroom. Ridley was lying motionless atop her futon; she'd piled extra blankets on herself throughout the night. Her cheeks were flushed with fever and her breathing came out in short shallow gasps. He felt his stomach drop as he noticed how bad her condition was. Perhaps this was something that needed more than just Fuyumi's amazing rice porridge.

"Ridley?" Endeavor knelt next to her and placed a hand to her forehead. She was burning up.

Her usually bright golden green eyes fluttered open. They were glassy and glazed over with fever. He wasn't sure if she was really seeing anything. Her fever appeared to be so high she may have slipped into a hallucination.

"Ridley?" He tried once more to elicit a response from her.

"I'm sorry." Her voice sounded so weak and small as she crumpled into herself, "I'm sorry." She kept repeating the words over and over again like some kind of mantra.

Endeavor felt his heart harden with rage as he realized she must be reliving something terrible. He wanted her family to pay for the things they'd done to her, he'd seen her with some nasty scrapes and bruises. Before he could lose himself to the rage building up inside of him, he heard something scratching at the window. He looked up and couldn't help but shake his head as he spotted a familiar fat raccoon pawing desperately at the window trying to get in.

With a sigh he went to the window and slid it open. The fat raccoon scampered over to Ridley and sat up on its hind legs next to her. Its big eyes were fixed on the feverish girl. It reached out it's tiny hands and began tapping on her face as if it were trying to wake her up.

"Don't do that." Endeavor grumbled at the raccoon and was surprised when it turned its head to him. "She needs to rest."

The raccoon bristled at his words before resuming its tapping trying to rouse the girl.

"Hey, Trash Panda, enough." He growled. "Keep it up and I'm throwing your ass back outside."

The raccoon stopped tapping on Ridley's face as if it understood what he'd said and what his words meant. It waddled closer to her before sprawling out on the blankets across her abdomen.