Awakening

Satan POV

I walked out of my portal and into the home that Alec lived in. The place smelled of alcohol and sadness. And another broken feeling that I couldn't quite place.

Alec was sitting on the floor in front of the couch, staring into the space. He wasn't fazed when I walked through the portal, I often came to check in on him. He was never really doing good.

"How are you?' I asked, it was a silly question, he obviously wasn't well, but I asked anyway.

"Same as yesterday and the day before" he answered, not really looking at me.

"I have something for you" I said.

"I don't want it, I just want Magnus"he replied.

"He's getting better. More alive everyday" I said, trying to get some reaction out of him.

"That's wonderful. I want to see him" Alec replied, his voice softening. After a week of Magnus getting steadily better on the Elder flowers I had told Alec about the seemingly cure. It had been two weeks since then, and we could only guess when he would awake.

"You can visit him" I said.

"No I can't. No demon blood, remember?" He said, the pain evident in his voice.

I pulled something out of my pocket, a bracelet, and handed it to Alec.

"What's this?" He asked, skimming his fingers over he obsidian surface.

"You'll be able to breath the air in Dudiel. It forms a type of barrier so that you can withstand the heat and it purifies the air. I've had people working on it, and they've finally gotten it right. You can visit him" I answered.

"Thank you" he replied, tears welled up in his eyes.

Alec POV

I held my breath as I stepped through the portal, afraid that it wouldn't work. I was scared the I wouldn't be able to see him and I'd die. But maybe that's what it would take to pull the miracle that was happening fir Magnus off : a life for a life. And if so, I'd happily sacrifice myself.

But when my feet hit the sand beneath me, I didn't die. The air didn't kill me.

Other than that, the first thing I noticed was the heat. New York usually didn't get that hot but it was burning here. I felt like my skin was going to start blistering but it didn't. It was needlessly hot but bearable.

The second thing was the air. It was gritty with sand and tasted stale. Plus it was hot too. If this was purified air, I wondered what it actually tasted like. But again, uncomfortable but bearable.

"Are you good?" Magnus' father asked. I nodded and we started off in the direction of, probably, the palace of Dudiel.

Twenty minutes later we were standing in front of a huge palace. It had several floors, every doorway and window was arched for maximum shade. It was a beautiful white color with blue trimmings to reflect heat. There were several lights on in various rooms, and many fruitful plants that looked like palm trees were out front. Like something out of that mundane movie I watched with Magnus, Aladdin I think it was called.

An oasis.

But was it?

I'd heard of mirages in deserts. Paradise was seemingly within reach but you were just in the middle of the dry, hot desert. The brain made up some images of what you wanted to see but it wasn't there

I wonder if that what's was happening to me. My mouth was dry, the gritty sand scratched my throat.

"How far out are we?" I asked, my voice scratchy with sand.