(01)-Ellery Grace Wilson

Authors Note:

      ~*Since Ellery lost her hearing at thirteen, she knows how to talk. So she can make sounds like laughing, scoffing, sobbing, etc but she just can't hear them. So I'll be writing in sounds she makes: (I sighed loudly) she just can't hear them. She can also form words she just won't.*~     
      ~*In this story, bold font means they are doing sign language: (That's stupid
, I sign)There will also be dual POV's so next chapter will be the main male protagonist.*~
~~**~~

~*E l l e r y*~

      A heated hand pressed against my shoulder and stirred me from slumber. A groan tore through my throat, or maybe it was a growl. I lifted my limp arm and swatted the hand away, discerning it was my brother waking me for my dreaded first day of school. Maybe if I acted like I was sick, I'd get to skip the first day and go on to the next tomorrow.

      Ryan knew If I didn't open my eyes, I'd have no idea what he was signing. I took that to my advantage and pressed my eyes closer together, curling up into a tiny ball and covering my head with my hands like a baby. Hot breath fanned my ear and his lips brushed my ear, moving in frantically. Was he honestly yelling at me even though I couldn't hear a dang word he was saying? Foolish. 

     He just needed the gratification of knowing I was curious. 

      I imagined him screaming something like "Els get up! Can you hear me? Of course not. Get up! It's your wonderful, joyful first day of school! I have my first day of work and I'm not leaving you alone because I've been coddling you for five years straight so get up!" 
Maybe not. Maybe he'd have said that five years ago before I was robbed of hearing as a young girl. Before he became overly protective, watching my every move and texting me every hour when I was anywhere but the house or under his watch.

      I finally fluttered my eyes open after a further two minutes of him shouldering and shaking me vigorously. His hands were signing so rapidly that I couldn't comprehend a thing he was signing. Only fragments of sentences. The morning light shone just correctly that his hands were shadowing on my wall. Then I was able to look yonder and pick up a few more things from his erratic motions. 

      Usually, I was agile at ASL but he was going so fast and I'd just awoken.

     What? I signed lazily, barely picking up my hands. Ryan flashed me an unamused glance with his brows drawn in irritation. Get up, we have to go. You have to get an education and I have to make money to support us. Up, now, Els. I look at him for a moment, gaping my mouth and gazing emotionlessly.

      Maybe if you'd let me learn to drive, I could wake up later and drive myself. He hadn't let me behind a wheel or even look at a steering wheel too long before shutting it down. He was so afraid of me repeating history. He always reminded me that it was just us and we had to depend on each other forever no matter the situation.

      Up, come on, he hastened, tugging my nightshirt. Ryan thrust back my blanket, and I groaned as the cold air that swept over me. He grabbed both of my arms and tugged me up. I growled, standing to my feet and crossing my arms in irritation. I peered up at him, his deep hazel hair was a mess and his wide light chocolate eyes were sunken. He must've been working all night again. Don't give me that look, Els. Get dressed, I'll get us breakfast on the way...yeah?

      Okay, I signed wearily as he stalked out, half tying his shoe and half buttoning up his shirt. He managed to flash me a guilty simper before passing my room. I crumpled on my bed, my hands coming up to rub my eyes and massage my temples. My hands traveled around my waist, I held myself in and rocked back and forth. The morning haze over my mind finally discharging enough to grasp what was happening.