-(12)-

-J a m e s-

      I was laying in bed, watching over Jade's shoulder as she played some kinda dress-up game. I poked her shoulder and drew her attention to me. She fluttered her eyes and continued playing her little game. I flicked her cheek and she cried lazily at me. "It's getting late, you have daycare tomorrow. You should go to sleep now, Jude is already asleep." 

      She pouted at my words and whined as I slipped the phone from her little palm and tossed it over onto my pillow. "C'mon," I whispered, lifting her into my arms and walking her across the hall and into her room. Jude stirred and grumbled something as I lifted Jade onto the bottom-bunk of their princess castle bed and tucked her in tight. She complained and groaned as I put a bear into her arms then boosted myself to peer at Jude. 

      "G'night." 

      Jude groaned a reply and turned her back to me. I snorted and patted her back a few times before flipping off the light and watching as Jade wobbled her lip, sitting on her knees sadly and I closed the door hesitantly. She'd forget about it in a second and fall asleep then be perky and lively in the morning as always. If not, I'd bribe her with something from the candy cabinet. 

      Just as I'd slipped into bed and towed the covers over my waist, my phone chimed from under my pillow, muffled slightly. I pulled it from underneath me and tapped around until pulling up the message from the one and only crystal eyes. 

Crystal eyes
      I know right! I just walked in the bathroom and she slapped me, I swear I saw stars. My cheek still burns. I have scratch marks from her green manicured nails. 

Me
      What? Who slapped you and why are you still up? 

Crystal eyes
      Ohh...I'm sorry. I was texting Olivia and I guess I clicked on you when re-opening the messages and I'm still up because I couldn't sleep. 

Me
      Oh...well now I'm curious. Who slapped you and where? What's happening?

Crystal eyes
      It's nothing, just a thing. I was talking to my old friend.

Me
      Wait...green manicured nails. That's what Sarah always wears. I only know that because they always got in the way of EVERYTHING when we were dating and they attract so much attention.  Did she slap you? Tell me what happened, crystal eyes.

Crystal eyes
      Yeah...I was at a restaurant with Ryan and Jenna and Sarah just happened to be there. I walked into the bathroom and she slapped me pretty hard but I kinda provoked her by signing some angry words. Slap is an understatement...she had a lot of scratch in there. 

Me
      That doesn't justify it...she should have never followed you in there. I'm so so so sorry that I dragged you into this. She's never been violent...I swear. If she had I'd have never let her go this far. 

Crystal eyes 
      Don't you dare blame yourself! This isn't your fault. I wouldn't stop being your friend just because of some insecure chick. You make me feel...normal and if you stopped being my friend, I'd be left alone with Hazel Grey and as nice as she is....she's a little on the peppy side. 

Me
      Okay. I'm glad you feel normal and Hazel Grey isn't too bad..I guess. Just don't hesitate to tell me anything about Sarah. She was my girlfriend and she's only going after you because of me. 

Crystal eyes
      Why did you break up with her? Just curious. 

Me
      We started dating around the time my grandfather got sick. I cared for him a full year before he passed. She was nice...just possessive and needy. She always wanted me to be with her, got angry when I was with other people. Which wasn't often since I was caring for grandpops. Even when I was just with him, she got jealous and demanded attention. I couldn't handle it, not after I was already watching my grandpa die in front of my eyes. She was being selfish so I broke it off. She yelled at me for hours and scolded me, that's when I knew I made the right decision.