-(18)-

-J a m e s-

      A few days later, we had uncovered absolutely nothing about Ellery's father. I could see her becoming relentless in searching, contemplating telling Ryan about our useless discoveries. I felt I had let her down, I had said I was a great detective and now I'd gotten her hopes up. There wasn't much to uncover...most of her mom's belongings were gone, anything useful anyway because it had pained them too much to look at it every day. All that was left was a few boxes of unpacked things. 

      Maybe we should ask your brother? I signed. She was currently looking through a box of her mother's old clothing. Pulling out long elegant dresses with extravagant colors and shoes to match...was her mom a model? She had a lot of fancy things in there fit for an elegant woman. No, he won't be happy. 

      What's with all the fancy stuff? Was she a model? 

      She always founds ways to find sale stuff and bid prices down on expensive stuff. It was like her talent. She could've been a model...she was so pretty. I decided to keep them just in case I ever went to prom or something and wanted to wear one...oh look, here's a picture of her. She pulled out a dusty wooden frame. Inside was a young Ellery, hugging her mother's side and giggling at something. She looked so lively, the same black curls all over her head and the same pale crystal eyes trained on her mother. 

      She wasn't wrong, her mother could've been a model. If It weren't for the facial structure I'd have never known they were related...although I could see the resemblance between her mom and Ryan. Same eyes and skin color. A drop fell on the picture, at first I thought there might be a leak in the roof until I caught Ellery wiping her face and turning away swiftly. 

      Are you okay? She nodded and swiped once more beneath her now reddening eyes. I'm fine, I always tell myself that I won't cry, it's been five years, but I never hold up on that. I began to say something more but she waved me off and hid her face inside the box, pretending to shuffle around inside it. I yearned to reach out but I knew she was embarrassed and I didn't want to complicate that further but I couldn't help myself.

     It's okay to cry. You don't have to be okay, not everyone has to be okay, Els. Just because it's been five years doesn't mean your wounds aren't still healing, maybe their healed but sometimes they re-open. Just don't push people away, it doesn't make it easier. 

      What did you whisper in my ear the other night? I've been thinking about it for days, James. I dismissed her attempts to change the subject and left it alone. She saw my signing, that's all that mattered. 

      It's a secret. She huffed, slumping onto her knees. But why? I wanna know really badly. It's eating away at me. She scooted forward feebly with her eyes wide and lower lip pouted. 

      She did the unexpected and let her hands rope around my neck, she was so close I could feel her breaths. We hadn't made many moves the last few days...but we definitely flirted relentlessly. Oh, I wanted to make a move so badly. I wanted to kiss her that night on her porch, which is exactly what I told her but I hadn't wanted to rush things. 

      Her arms fell at her sides, she studied me curiously. Tell me...please? I took her hand in mine and rubbed her knuckles. I said I wanted to kiss you. The inevitable took over, she blushed furiously and watched everywhere but my eyes. Why didn't you? 

      I didn't want to rush things I guess. My hand came to cup her heated cheek and rub my thumb along her cheekbone. Will you go on a date with me? Dinner and a movie? Or a movie then dinner? Or something? I don't know. I was fumbling with my hands, I didn't know it was possible to stutter your signing but I found a way.