-(20)-

-J a m e s-

      We drove home in a blanketing silence. I wasn't certain if it was because of Declan Mclairy's sudden appearance or our sudden departure or utterly the fact that it was dark and I was driving. Either way, I didn't pressure or attempt to bring up a conversation as we soared down the slowly darkening roads. 

      I flickered my blinker on and turned into our section, I noticed her hands jumbled together and her cheek sucked into her mouth. Had seeing Declan distressed her that much? I hadn't really taken a minute to understand what she might be feeling towards her father, possibly, who she hadn't even met. 

      My father had been present up until I was fourteen so I guessed I didn't understand, but I wanted to. Maybe I had a little understanding since I hadn't physically seen my father in a long while. Even now, I still talked to my father but Ellery had never had any contact with her father at all. If he even was her father, although it was very obvious. 

      I parked the car just below her driveway on the street and rushed around to open her door and help her out. Ellery wobbled slightly when stepping up onto her patio. We both hovered over the porch light which rayed down on us. It wasn't too dark, just enough that Ryan wouldn't be enraged.                                                                                                                                                                     

      Thank you...I really had a good time. Really. For the first time since leaving the fast food place, her mouth tipped in a smile as she signed and perked up. I couldn't help but let out a breath of needed relief. I hope Declan didn't distress you too much, I'm sorry and I had an awesome time too. 

      No, just a moment of shock, don't apologize. You really helped me, my feet where like glue and I couldn't move. All I saw was him walking towards us, so thank you for getting us out. I really hope we can do this again...the movie and dinner not fleeing from my father. She took a tentative step towards me and lowered her hands to a ball at her stomach, tipping her head up. Me too..., I signed lazily. 

      I noticed her obvious implication to kiss her but nervousness built in my chest. I figured it would be worse if I didn't and I really wanted to so I leaned forward and drew my mouth to hers. It was awkward at first, it was a little clear that she hadn't had a proper kiss in a while but once her mouth relaxed and her eyes fluttered closed, releasing the nervousness, we both fell into it. My hands ended up coming to clutch her waist as her's came atop my shoulders.

      Her mouth was new and foreign against mine, I couldn't believe I didn't kiss her that night after gaming. The cool night air seemed to shift around us, envelope us. I didn't regard the cricket chirping in the distance. 

      I could sense her nervousness with every kiss. Equal to mine, my palm traveled up to cup her warm cheek, heated by my breath when we'd stray away to gulp in air but our lips would connect again. Something opened between us, something that had been and will be. Something that had been building up, like a twisted rubber band, and had finally snapped into place. 

      Kissing her felt right. Our mouths fit together perfectly.

      Our kisses were affectionate and calm, a sort of trial. It took her a few moments to get used to the feel of my mouth on hers, the feeling was reciprocated. I felt her eyes open, her lashes brushing my lids, so I pulled away just as she did the same. Her eyes watching my lips. I leaned in for one more peck. One more memory and she giggled. Something that burned into my head.