-(24)-

-J a m e s-

      The moment my steps were discovered, two pattering sets of feet raced from the living room and stumbled into the foyer. Both twins leaped up and crashed into me with such force I almost toppled back.  "Jamie! Jamie! I was so worried about you!" Jude exclaimed. "Yeah, we were so worried!" Jade's voice echoed. Although something like irritation teetered her voice. 

      "I'm fine. Really. Where is mom? Are you two okay?" They tugged me into the living room where mom and Rudy were slumped against the couch edge, fast asleep still. Blankets were scattered around them in an erratic mess along with a popcorn bowl and some candles. 

      Jade boosted herself on the table to get closer to me. She huffed in my face angrily, as if I was forgetting something. "I was really scared last night when the thunder was crashing and you weren't even there for me! I had no one last night because Jude was asleep with mom and Rudy!" 

      "I'm sorry, I couldn't get home. The roads were flooded." She pouted and crossed her arms fiercely. I had forgotten that Jade had a long-time fear of thunder. She used to sit up in bed and whimper until Jude decided to come and get me. I'd put some earbuds in her ears and we'd listen to loud music or a movie most of the night. I couldn't believe I'd forgotten. 

      Just as mom began to stir, I hauled Jade into my arms. She wiggled furiously and scrunched her brows together. "Let me go! I hate you! You left me alone and I was crying!" 

      "Jade, wait!" I yelled after her but her little feet were deft in running away. Jude followed a moment later, following her sister and slamming the door. I was just about to go after them when mom arose and groaned softly. "James?" She threw her arms around me. "Oh good! Are you okay? Is everyone okay?"

      "Yes, mom. Everything is okay. Why didn't you comfort Jade? You know she has a fear of thunder," I muttered a little angrily. My anger was rooted in guilt, I felt guilty that I'd been with Ellery all night and had forgotten about her completely. "James don't raise your voice to me. We were already asleep and she didn't wake us up. You should have called her or something, she only calms down when you hold her anyway." 

      "You're right. Sorry, mom. Everything is okay, everyone is fine." 

       She smiled and embraced me once more. "Did you talk to your father last night? He gets worried." 

      "Look, mom, I did talk to dad last night and I couldn't keep it in anymore. I told him about you and Rudy. Let it slip more like. He seemed disappointed but I think he took it pretty well. I couldn't hold it in anymore." Mom let her head drop. I could see that even though she never forgave him, she still cared about him to some degree. "Oh. I guess he'd find out eventually," she hesitated. 

      "I'm going to check on Jade. I'm sorry I let it slip. I know you were just trying to protect him." A subtle nod was all she managed before I slipped into Jade and Jude's room. It was dark, Jade was huddled in the corner with a flashing nightlight while Jude tried to calm her by giving her various stuffed animals from her bed. 

      "I think she needs you right now," Jude whispered, patting my knee as she left. I held in a chuckle from her mature remark. Jade and I were always super close, she always looked up to me from a young age. Mostly since I was already older when they were born. Jade had even loved me as an infant since I'd help out a lot. Jude and I were close, just not as close as Jade and I.

      "Hey," I whispered. I slumped beside her small form being lit up by the pink unicorn night light. "Hi," she responded mournfully. "Why are you in the dark?" I flicked the night light with my finger and tapped my hand on Jade's knees. "Cause I'm sad," she murmured in the saddest of soft voices.