-(22)-

-J a m e s-

      Ellery had fallen into a dreamless slumber beside me. Her head was limp on the cushion of the crimson couch and her hands both erratically spread out over her lap from mid-sign slumber. The fatigue had hit her hard, I guessed the initial adrenaline of the last hour with Declan and Emily had worn off. Now my only company was my thoughts and the echo of the pattering rain.

      They still hadn't returned but by the frantic movements and shouting, they wouldn't be coming to explain anytime soon. I honestly hadn't known what to make of the situation before me. I felt guilty for Declan and relieved that Ellery had some closure, even if they still hadn't figured out the details. It had sounded like he wanted Ellery in his life but I couldn't confirm for sure. 

      My phone rung continuously in my pocket, indicating an incoming call. My finger slid across the screen shakily as the ID flashed. I pressed 1 when the usual recording ends and the line was transferred over to my father. His raspy voice rattled the phone. "Hey, son. I heard about the flooding and I needed to make sure you're okay, buddy." 

      "Everything is fine, dad. I'm staying with Ellery's...friend." 

      "How's your mother and sisters?" 

      "Mom, Jade, and Jude are fine from what she's told me. They're with Rudy and he's staying the night." The words slipped out of my mouth before I halted them. I had yearned to tell him about Rudy and mom since that day mom had told me. Had felt broken and horrible about keeping it from him intentionally. 

      "With...Rudy? I thought he came to visit on weekends." My heart began to tremble with nervousness. I had told him only weekends to avoid the awkward conversation. I owed him an explanation and he deserved to know. He'd find out eventually and it wouldn't be from me. "No...dad. He's not over for a visit. Look, I felt this weight on my chest and I need to you and I'm sorry mom couldn't tell you, but mom and Rudy are dating now." 

      All I was able to pick up was a muffled 'oh'

      "How...long?" he said gloomily. My heart plummeted in my chest the moment his voice came through the line. I could sense the despair radiating off of him. "A while," I replied vaguely, not wanting to upset him further with an exact date. "Is that why you haven't been picking up my calls and when you do you make up some excuse to quit talking?"

       "Yeah. I was guilty. I knew you always had hope of getting out and rekindling with mom." Silence greeted me back, dead rumbling silence. A stillness so embarrassing that I had shifted uncomfortably in my spot, causing Ellery to stir and whine softly, laying her head on my shoulder obliviously. I rolled my eyes when Ellery made a rumbling sound in her sleep.

      "Who's there with you?" my father finally spoke but nothing in regards to my last statement. "Ellery, the girl I told you about from my school." 

      "Ellery...that name sounds so familiar. Is she your girlfriend?" I decided to go along with this whole previous-statement-had-not-been-acknowledged thing. He was pretty torn by it, it seemed. 

      "Uh, kinda. I haven't asked her yet...but I plan to." I chuckled nervously as her curls bobbed and her head popped up from my shoulder. A yawn tore through her throat as her eyes fluttered open. She looked embarrassed that she'd had her head on my shoulder.

      "Ellery, that name sounds so dang familiar. How old is she?" I motioned a quick 'dad' to Ellery when she expressed confusion. "Eighteen, she's deaf. Lost her hearing in a car accident five years ago. I want to tell you all about her, dad. She's the best, the greatest thing that's happened to me in a while. I can't wait for you to meet her and contact her. She'll love you."