-(06)-

-J a m e s-

      I was lounging around on the couch with Brock and Danny playing some games when my phone chimed across the room. I groaned and tapped away at my controller erratically. Jade, who was playing some kind of princess dress up game, perked up and laughed. I glanced over to see and asked her who had texted me 

      "Jamie it's a puppy!" 

      Brock, Danny and I all tilted our heads to peer at my phone. I paused our game as we gazed at the screen. Jade held up my phone and on-screen was a small light brown Chihuahua mid-roll on a lavender bedspread. Uptop was the contact name blaring across as 'crystal eyes'. Ellery's contact name. The caption read 'My new puppy! Help me name him? I'm freaking out!' 

      "Who's crystal eyes? Are you talking to a stripper, man?" Brock pipped up curiously. Danny shattered into a fit of laughter and slapped my back teasingly. I had yet to tell Brock who crystal eyes was although he knew I sat with her most days and talked to her frequently. 

      "Crystal eyes is Ellery, the girl I sit with every day at school."

      I snatched the phone from Jade's tiny hands and pushed her off. She humphed and waddled off into her own room. Brock and Danny peered over my phone and contemplated the message. "Tell her to name it Harry after Harry Styles," Brock suggested. We both glared at him strangely. 
"You're into One Direction, dude?" Danny teased. Brock looked away, his face flushing and his hands running through his beach blonde wavy hair. 

You
      You finally got a puppy! Brock said to name him Harry after Harry Styles. 

Crystal eyes
      I know I'm so excited! Who's Harry Styles?

You
      The singer...from One Direction. 

Crystal eyes
      Nope. Never ever heard of him.

You
      Not at all...ever? They are like every teenage girl's dream band. Although I find them ridiculous. 

You
      **song link, What Makes You Beautiful**

Crystal eyes
      Yup...sure just let me listen to that and I'll get back to you when my ears work.

You
      Oh my God. You're deaf and I just sent you a song link. I'm so sorry. You don't have to talk to me again. That was so embarrassing. I totally wasn't thinking at all. Bye.

Crystal eyes
      It's okay...I can read the lyrics lol. Where are you going?

You
       Russia. My name is now Alexi Stakovi. I'm hoping you sense my sarcasm. 

Crystal eyes
      It was quite obvious and it's fine...well I still need a name for my puppy...

      "That's low...sending a deaf girl a song link," Dan muttered. "Shut up," I scoffed and shoved his shoulder erratically. "I'll just send her a text asking her on a date to make up for it for you!" Brock said, grabbing at my phone. He leaped onto me and we fell off the couch and landed on the ground with a 'humph' Brock leaped in and towed at my phone but I held it firmly in my grasp. "I don't even like her like that! She's just a friend!" 

      "Cmon, she's hot, she's sweet and shy. Who wouldn't like her?"

      I groaned as he shoved me in the side. Danny ripped us apart moments later and tossed Brock onto my bed, right over his shoulder. Brock moaned loudly. Brock was a lean skimpy little guy and Danny was a buff muscled football player. Brock was no match for Danny. I was a pretty well-built guy, but I was still no match. 

      "Really, are you boys children? No roughhousing in the house, take it outside!" My mom bellowed. We all shattered into large fits of laughter. I stole my phone from Danny's grip and checked on crystal eye's texts. 

Crystal eyes
      I found a name! It just came to me, like fate. Say hello, to Charlie!

You
      Charlie the Chihuahua?

Crystal eyes
      Yup. It's not up for discussion. 

You
      No, I like it. It's...cute. My first cat was named Charles.  
     Hey, so have you found a time I could come over so we can study?

Crystal eyes
       don't know, I guess anytime after school would be fine. Today I'm getting dog supplies with Ryan and tomorrow is Saturday and I'm meeting with an old friend for breakfast. You could come over Sunday afternoon if you want? 

You
      That would be perfect. I'll run it past my mom and head over Sunday around...One?

Crystal eyes
      Perfect. You can come earlier if you want. I'm all free. Gtg get supplies with the bro for my new child. TTYL

      Danny and Brock stayed for a few more hours before departing. Danny had practice tomorrow and needed to rest and Brock had a special dinner with his family for his little sister Erica's birthday. I had tried to get Jade and Jude to be friends with Erica but they never seemed to click. They always fought over the littlest things possible. 

      Mom made some spaghetti for dinner and bought some store-brand ice cream for dessert. I scooped both Jade and Jude small bowls and placed them on their laps. I slumped next to my mom and smirked at her. She pressed her lips together and put her hand on my shoulder. 
"What do you want?"

      "There's this girl in my class. Our teacher gave us tapes to listen to...but she can't listen because she's...deaf. I've been hanging out with her and she's super nice, I offered to sign the tapes to her so she doesn't fail. Study buddies. Since I need to catch up anyways from my year off."

      "Okay... and?"

      "And, she invited me over Sunday afternoon to her house so we can study." My mom looked at me unamused. She scrunched her eyes and touched her hand to my cheek. Her hands was warm and soft, mom's hand were always well-kept. I thought at first she was doing it for someone but I hadn't seen her with any man since her and my father divorced  "You can't sweetie. I have a meeting and you have to babysit the twins." 

      I sighed and nodded meekly. She pressed a kiss to my cheek and scooped up the twins for bedtime. "Wait! Could she come here? While I babysat?" My mom cast glances at both the half-asleep twins. She let out a sigh and flicked me a nod before walking them away and into their room. "Thanks!" I didn't know why but a weird giddy feeling pooled in my gut. I pulled out my phone to text her right away after dismissing a text from Sarah. 

 You
      Hey, I can't come to your Sunday because I'm babysitting...could you possibly come over here to study? I live just around the corner. 

Crystal eyes
      Uh...I don't know. My brother won't like that. He's really protective.  

You
      It won't be just me. My two three-year-old sisters Jade and Jude will be here but if your brother says no, we can do it another day. It's fine, we have a few weeks to get everything done.

Crystal eyes
      I'll ask my brother tomorrow. I'll get back to you. How long are the tapes?

You
      I don't know, I haven't popped it in my computer. Probably forty minutes to an hour if everything is on there. 

Crystal eyes
      Oh, okay. I'll ask my brother tomorrow and try and convince him. If he agrees, I'll text you if not don't expect anything because I'll be busy. ttyl
You
      ttyl