~(27)~

~*E l l e r y*~

      The moment I got home and crawled back through my window, Ryan busted through my door and threw his arms around me. He squeezed me so hard the air knocked right out of my lungs and left me wheezing. My hands came around him only when I knew he wasn't attempting to strangle me after last night. He pulled back and put both of his palms on my cheeks, his eyes glistening but I turned my head away furiously. 

      Where were you! I came back in to talk but you weren't there! I waited for you all night, ladybug. I'm so sorry about yelling at you. I shouldn't have said mom would be disappointed, she wouldn't. I was just angry, Ellery. I always want you to myself, I never wanted you to grow up after the crash and now you have a father and a boyfriend. I just wasn't ready. I'm just always trying to protect you and keep you close. Please forgive me. 

      You hurt me, Ryan. Saying that mom would be disappointed. I can't believe you'd say something like that. You don't get to say if she'd be disappointed. Declan and James are the best things that have happened in my life in a long time, Ryan and you have to understand that. They both make me happy. You too, Ryan. You'll always be my big brother but I need space. 

      He nodded mournfully. I tried to convince myself that he deserved to be hurt after what he'd said to me. I pushed him away and began rummaging in my closet for something to wear. I understand and I'm sorry...So sorry. Did you stay at James' last night? Can I take you to school at least so we can talk? 

      Yes, I stayed at James'. No, we didn't do anything, I slept on the couch. No, Declan's taking me to school, please let me go with him. Ryan's face held battling emotions. I could tell he still wasn't too thrilled about this but he hadn't a choice at the moment. Okay, fine. Be safe. Here's your phone. After work, I'm going to have lunch with Jenna so I might not be here when you get back. I hugged him again to try and break the ice but heavy tension still lingered between us. 

~~**~~

      After a quick shower, I tugged on my clothes and hopped out to Declan's awaiting car. Ryan peered from the window as I leaped in and we lurched back onto the road. Declan didn't notice Ryan watching but Ryan's eyes were glued on him as we drove away. I leaned over the seat and embraced Declan suddenly, I'd just felt the need to. His hands came around to cradle me back, I felt safe and secure so I lingered the hug a little too long. 

      Is everything okay? he signed worriedly. Yeah, everything's fine. Thanks for driving me. Ryan and I aren't on the greatest terms right now. I told him about you and he was mad...very mad but I think he's cooled off or he wouldn't have let me get in this car with you.

      Okay, that's good. Just let him know I'm interested in pursuing a relationship with him too. Also, Emily and I talked and she's very sorry for the way she acted. She understands and doesn't feel left out or hurt. We talked about it for a while, she doesn't mind you coming around anymore. 

      Okay, I'll tell him. It's okay, I understand what she was feeling, she had a reason to feel that way. He reached over and ruffled my hair playfully. I'm glad.  I drew my brows and ran my hands through my long loose curls. Do you have a ride back? I'm coming to pick up Emily. I can take you home too if you want. 

      I was going to take the bus but if you can it would be nice, Ryan probably won't be home when I get back. 

~~**~~

      Flutters erupted in my stomach as I stepped into school and bounced on my feet, scanning the hallways for James. The bus had just pulled in the parking lot and students were flooding out, pushing and shoving each other to make room. My eyes clasped onto his from, hopping down the steps and trudging. He was slumping, looking down and visibly weary. His cheeks were stained red, I knew something was wrong immediately.