Chapter 28

I walked over to join the rest of the guys standing in front of this giant castle that we would be staying at all month. It was dark but still beautiful, located next to a small river that ran beside it. The old cement walls crumbling in places but still strong. Ivy and moss crawled up the sides of the castle, creeping into the window seals. There were tours held here so it had been updated by way of electricity and plumbing, but most of the original architecture was still in tact. There were torches lit lining the driveway showing the way in. I looked up into the darkness of the windows, feeling like someone was watching us. "Why do we do these things?" I asked Sam, feeling a little creeped out now. He laughed and clapped me on the shoulder. "For the views brother, for the views." I laughed along with him but something didn't feel right about this place. Maybe it was just me. "Hey guys" Corey said, his voice sounding uneasy. "I don't like it here. Do we really have to stay, like, here? Can't we just come for a few hours a day or night or something and stay in a motel?" "Corey, you know we can't afford the hotel for a whole month, plus food, travel, and everything else for all 4 of us. It's fine, we'll be fine. We've dealt with this stuff before." Sam replied. "I don't know Sam....I don't like this place either." Elton said, peering up into the windows too. Sam scoffed and shook his head. "Come on you bunch of p**sies. Let's get inside." We grabbed our bags and gear and followed him inside. I couldn't help but look behind me, into the trees surrounding us. I still felt like someone was watching us but I didn't see anything. We met the guide in the entrance way and she showed us around, telling us about the many battles that were fought here, the hundreds of lives lost, and then the creepiest tale of all. "The Tale goes that there was once a healer of the warriors who defended the castle. He would be called a doctor nowadays. His name was Ronan DoChara. He loved his work and did everything he could to save his fellow people. Sadly, all of the blood and gore from the constant battles became too much for him one day. His mind snapped. Instead of helping the injured, he would injure the well. Roaming the walls of the castle, sneaking into bedrooms at night, using chloroform so that his "patients"  wouldn't scream. Never killing them, but always leaving his mark. Some would wake with slices across their abdomen, or legs. Others would have their faces disfigured. Ronan was eventually caught and beheaded by the guillotine. Some say that they have seen his figure walking the halls at night, checking bedrooms for his next victim. Others say that you can hear his maniacal laughter reverberate through the walls." The guide smiled at us, like she hadn't just scared the SHIT out of us. "So, I'll show you to your rooms and let you get acquainted with everything." She headed up the stairs and we followed, even Sam looking a little spooked now. "What in the F**k did we just hear? Are you serious that we have to stay here? After that?" Corey was freaking out but I was honestly about to agree. "Calm down Corey. It's just a story." Elton said. "Yeah, but a freaky ass story. I'm not tryna get cut in my sleep Elton." Jake spoke up. "Everybody shut up. We'll be fine. If anything serious happens, we'll just book an earlier flight home. No big deal. We'll be careful. We always are." Sam said, watching the guide open the door to the first room. "Will you fellows be bunking together or separate?" I looked at Sam just as he looked at me. "Together." We replied in unison. There was no way that I was sleeping by myself in this creepy ass castle. We checked the room and dropped our bags. "At least there are two beds." Sam said. "True but it's not like we haven't slept in the same bed before." I replied. He laughed. "This is true." We followed the guide back out to the next room. There is only one more room with 2 beds. The rest are all singles. Would you like to bunk together or separate?" She was looking at Corey when she asked. "Together!" He said automatically. "Who are you gonna bunk with tho Corey?" I asked him. "There's Elton and Jake." "I don't care, I just don't wanna be alone in this place." His eyes were wide and I could tell that he was scared. "I don't mind staying alone." Jake said, nonchalantly. "Bro, are you sure? There's a couch in here. You could always crash on that. Or share one of these beds with us." I told him. "Nah, I'll be alright." He shrugged like it was no big deal. "So Elton, you can bunk with Corey then." Sam said, motioning to Elton. "Oh thank God." Corey said, relieved. Elton started laughing. "What? You wanted it to be me?" Corey kind of blushed and smiled. "Yea, you gotta protect me Elton!" He was so serious about it that we all started laughing.