Chapter. XIX

Naruto walks back to the participant's booth, where the others all congratulate him on his victory. Dosu, Zaku, and Kankuro pound fists with him and/or pat him on the back. Kin and Temari both give him a thumbs up and a smile. Yoroi shakes his hand. Gaara just nods his head.

"Well, your match is up next, Gaara. I wish both you and Yoroi luck."

Over the last month, Naruto took the time to learn about Gaara. When he found out how similar they were, Naruto befriended Gaara, helping him to fix the void between him and his family. Gaara now considers Naruto his first, true friend.

"Thank you, Naruto. I'll fight to get through to the next round, so that we can face off."

"Looking forward to seeing you there Gaara. No offense, Yoroi."

"None taken, Naruto. Even I know that I probably won't win. You jinchuriki are in a league of your own."

Naruto and Gaara both smirk at him.

Genma brings everyone's attention back to the arena.

"The next match is between Gaara and Yoroi Akado. Will the two of you come down?"

The two leave the booth and head into the arena.

"Begin!"

Yoroi charges fast at Gaara, hoping to suck his chakra out before he can call his sand. However, Gaara's sand is faster. The sand wraps around Yoroi's hands and begins to spread up his arms, preventing him from forming handsigns. In just a few minutes, Yoroi is covered in sand from the shoulders down. He can't move any of his limbs and knows he can't defeat him.

"I surrender."

"Winner: Gaara!"

Gaara releases the sand. The two walk back to the booth. The crowd boos at how short the match had been.

The Kazekage looks at the Hokage. "Well, except for young Naruto, this tournament is now dominated by Suna and Oto genin. Didn't have a good batch this year?"

"No I did, it's just that your teams proved to be better. This is one of these times I'm glad we're allies."

The Hokage misses the look that passes over the Kazekage's face. "Yes. I'm glad we're allies too."

The Kazekage shares a look with the Otokage before they focus on the arena, where Genma is announcing the next match.

"Kankuro vs Zaku Abumi! Will the two of you come down?"

The two walk down to the arena.

"Begin!"

Zaku does some handsigns.

"Earth Release: Earth Flow River!"

The ground under Kankuro turns to mud, throwing him off balance. Zaku wastes no time. He charges at Kankuro and does some more handsigns.

"Earth Release: Earth Fist!

His arm is coated in a layer of solidified earth. He punches Kankuro, sending him flying back sending him crashing into the wall. When the smoke clears, it reveals that Kankuro pulled off the same trick he did in the prelims. Lying in the crater, is a puppet. Zaku quickly whirls towards the bandaged object, to see the real Kankuro burst out of the bandages. Kankuro quickly makes his move, lifting his hands to reveal the chakra threads. Zaku realizes what Kankuro is doing and quickly jumps out of the way to avoid the poison kunai, shot by the puppet. He then thrusts his arms toward Kankuro.