Chapter 4 - Wonder Duo

The rest of the day was spend playing all sorts of games. The rival classes turned everything into a battle of course but it was fun none the less. Deku was exhausted by the time dinner came around and he was now vast asleep on the couch, hugging his All Might stuffie that Shinsou brought down for him. The topics changed back from their childish ranting to the usual subjects like school and heroes.

"Who knows when classes are starting again?"
"Once the villian has been caught!" Iidia exclaimed.
"Yeah, they think it was an inside job and the traitor is still on campus" Shinsou added.
"It's why we're in lockdown in the first place"

"Oh man! That totally sucks!" Ashido complained.
"Hey, at least things don't get boring with Midoriya around" Kaminari laughed.
"Speaking of Midoriya-" Todoroki said, now looking at Bakugou.
"-What's the deal with his father?"

The table grew quieter, just a little conversation here and there, mostly between those of general studies and 1-B.
"It's not really my place to tell" the explosive blond answered.
"It's a little sensetive topic for Deku. For him to decide whether or not you should know"
"And how in the world do you know then? You hate him!"

Bakugou didn't know where that came from but tensed up at the voice none the less. 'Hate Deku? Never' he thought bitterly. But he couldn't say that out loud.
"We used to be best friends when we were that age shithead. I know a lot of shit" was all he responded, scowling, stabbing his food.

That evening Kirishima pulled Bakugou apart without anyone noticing. They went outside, sitting on a bench in front of the dorm in the chilly evening air.
"It's getting harder to hide, isn't it?" the red head asked, staring up at the sky. Katsuki did the same, huffing at his question, seeing his own breath leave his mouth as he did.

"I never told you how this happened, did I?" Bakugou asked. Kirishima shook his head, now looking aside to his best bud.
"You said I didn't need to know. That I already know to much... Are you really ready to tell me? I know you don't share such things easily so..."
"No, it's okay, I trust you" Bakugou answered in a serious tone. This made the red head gleam in pride and accomplishment. He really earned Bakubro's trust!

"It was years ago, when we were around Deku's age... It was the day after he came back from the doctor's. The day after he was told to be quirkless... Deku felt terrible, of course. And I didn't know better than to ask what was going on. He'd been acting off all day, not as hyper as usual... I-I was worried..."

Katsuki paused, taking a deep breath. He glanced at Kirishima, who was staring at him attentively.
"He confessed the whole deal, apologizing for being quirkless, for spoiling our dream to become the Wonder Duo..."
This made him laugh for a moment.
"How typical of Deku, to say sorry for something that is totally not his fault..."

"Yeah, we all know how he is" Kiri added.
"So what happened?"
"He ran off" Bakugou sighed.
"I chased him and accidentally pushed us both down a slope. We fell, tumbling down the side of that hill. You should've seen our clothes... Our moms killed us when they saw. But that's not the point... The thing is, we fell on top of each other. Me on my back and Deku above me. He was crying, making me cry as well... And than he told me. Told me he loved me and he didn't want to see me suffer because of him... H-he said he didn't want to weight me down because he was useless. H-he thought he was useless Kiri! I-I had always called him that but hearing it from his mouth... I never thought it got to him... It's Deku who ended our friendship that day... And I just rolled with it. People assumed it was because he didn't have a quirk and I didn't want any weak friends. It wasn't true... It's always been him... He who puts the dreams of others before his... H-he just wanted me to make it..."

Kirishima wrapped his arms around the blond as tears started rolling down his cheeks. Kacchan sobbed, returning the embrace as he continued to cry at the memory.
"I just can't face him like that Kiri! I-I can't! All I see is that damn moment! I-I don't know how much more of this I-I can take... This is emotional torture!"