3.

Monroe's P.O.V

I paced round the guest room, questions flooding my mind. I felt like the wall I'd built up for the past seven years got bulldozed in seconds when my eyes connected with his. All the emotions I felt the day he left washed over me, almost knocking he air out of my body..

July 24th
Seven years ago...

I pulled up outside his house with my suitcase in the trunk of my car. Excitement flooded my body as I thought about the vacation I was going to spend with Leo in Hawaii. He surprised me the day after my birthday with tickets since I always talk about going there.

I turned the handle of the door to see it was locked. Usually it was unlocked and I walked straight in seems though it was like my second home. His family were like my second seems though mine was broken. When my mother died two years ago, they were there for me. And when my father disappeared, leaving me with my stepmother, I ended up spending most of my time there. So it seemed odd that the door was locked.

The more I thought, I realised that the house looked lifeless. His family were normally heard from the end of the drive. But it was eerily quiet.

Pulling out my phone, I rang Leo's number for it to go straight to the machine, saying the number had been deactivated. It was the same with all of the Valentino family.

My heart shattered right on that porch as realisation hit me.

They were gone.

They left me all alone after promising me they'd always have my back. Instead, they too left with no trace like my father did.

It must have been an hour of me sitting on their porch dialling the disabled numbers over and over again, hoping someone would answer.

But nothing.

Tears cascaded down my cheeks as I realised how alone I was again. Everyone i classes as family has left me in such a short period of time. And that is the worst feeling. One i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

My thoughts were broken by a light knock on the bedroom door, a face popping through that i was not expecting to see.

Kat.

She stood there holding up a bagel that we always got before work and a bag in her other hand. "I got you some food and bought some of your things from your place. Well buy anything else you need." She spoke softly, placing both items on my bed.

Analysing her appearance, she stood wearing the same navy colour I saw a few people branding, including Leo and Lorenzo. That's when it clicked.

"You're one of them, aren't you?"

She paused for a moment before lightly nodding. "I didn't want you knowing about this life. But Leo insisted that you had to be here under our protection seems though they were coming after you." She sat on the edge of my bed as I still stood staring at the wall.

"Who's after me?" I demanded answers for her, agitated. "Hans. He's the leader of the German mafia. He was hunting for you to use you as leverage in this conflict."

I scratched the back of my neck. "How the fuck am I leverage?"

Kat gave me a dub look before stating bluntly. "Everyone has a weakness in this business. The enemy will always find it to use to their advantage. "You, mio amico, are his."

His?

"You mean Leo?"

She nodded at me as I burst out laughing. "That's funny!" But she didn't laugh, making me think she was being serious. "That's a fucking lie. He doesn't care about me. That was made clear the day he fucking left me alone!"

"Kat, can I?" A deep voice boomed into the room, immediately realising who it was. "No you can't!" I spoke for Kat as I turned to face him sharply. But Kat left anyway, betraying my wishes as Leo strode into my room, slamming the door behind him.

I took in the sight of him in front of me. Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead, small splotches of blood stained his hands and shirt.

"Don't worry about it." He stated, noticing I'd seen the blood.

I folded my arms once more, feeling my heart beat faster in anger. "Why me?" I questioned. "Why the fuck am I involved in this shit!? Leverage should be someone close to the them. But clearly that's not me anymore. Not since that day when you left me!"

His eyes flashed with hurt as my voice broke with the last line of my rage filled rant.

"Amore.."

I stormed over towards him hearing that nickname. "Stop fucking calling me that!!" I slammed my hands into his chest. "Those words never meant anything coming from you, did they!?" I yelled louder, hitting his chest harder with every sentence. "You left! You fucking left! Was it all just a lie!?"

I felt my voice begin to wobble as my anger was replaced with hurt and betrayal.

"For fucks sake Valentino! Speak!!" I went to slam even harder on his chest when he caught my fists effortlessly. "You done?" He stayed coldly, glaring into my eyes with an unreadable expression.

I stayed silent, knowing that if I spoke anymore, I might break infront of him. And that's not what I wanted to do right now.

"Not everything is black and white in this world, Roe. You have to understand that shit happens and sometimes people do things, harsh things, in order to protect those close to them!" He demanded, frustration now clouding in his deep emerald pools as they looked down on me.

I felt a single tear roll down my cheek as I yanked my hands away from his grasp. My voice now barely audible, I spoke to him without making eye contact. "Four hours. I sat on your porch for four hours calling you hundreds of times. With every call, my heart broke. You did that. Regardless of why you left, you still hurt me more than anyone else."

I wiped the stray tear and dusted my shirt, stepping to the side. "So you should go. I'm not in the mood to deal with your pathetic excuses right now.."

He nodded slightly, approaching the door. Right as he was about to open it, he spoke in barely a whisper. "We'll talk tomorrow. Get some rest, tesoro."

And he was gone again. I should really be used to that man leaving my life but it still stung like a bitch. No matter how much I try to hide it, Leo Valentino mended my soul just to destroy it himself. And I was the foolish one who kept hoping that one day he'd return.

But he never did.