6.

Monroe's P.O.V

I just sat on the steps outside the front door, staring at the sun set perfectly in the centre of the rows of trees laid either side of the road approaching the house. It looked so beautiful. It just goes to show how one persons life could've just completely been altered, but the sun rises and sets everyday in such beauty that it's almost mocking my situation.

I heard the door slowly open and close before a guy sat next to me.

"Thought you could use some company." His deep voice spoke, sounding oddly delicate as his accent ripples through my ears. Not looking at him, I nodded slightly, knowing exactly who it was. "Noah Valentino. It's been a while. Seven years to be precise!" I spoke sarcastically, causing him to scoff at me in amusement.

"Little Leo was right about you. You've changed a lot. You're feisty now, and I like it. I always did think you were too nice for your own good."

Noah was Leo's older brother, and always acted as that for me too. He'd fight off anyone who upset me. He had done since we were little kids.

"I guess being abandoned changes a girl. Or maybe it's the fact that my father ran away years ago and now he's plotting with some German guy to kill me!" I rambled on, venting out my emotions.

Noah draped his arm over my shoulder the same way he used to. Protectively. Like he was shielding me from pain. "Listen, giovane. None of us can tell you why right now. And I get that might be even more terrifying due to who we are. But I can promise you one thing. There isn't anywhere else in the world you could be than here. You have me, Kat and most importantly Leo. Although you may resent him. You may resent all of us. But he's the leader round here, people listen to him. So when he gave them orders to protect you at all costs, they will do it until their last breath."

His words made me forget how to breathe. And that's when it clicked..

"I'm his weakness. I'm the one they kill to break him, aren't I?" I spoke in a whisper as Noah nodded, smiling at me. "You've always been his weakness. But you're also what makes him stronger, don't ever forget that."

After a reassuring squeeze, Noah stood and went back into the house after taking off his navy suit jacket and resting it on my shoulders. He knew I needed to digest all of this alone. But I still felt his eyes on me from behind the large glass doors as he sat on the staircase opposite them.

No matter how much anger and sadness he too caused me, I couldn't deny that he still made me feel safe, protected.

It got to about nine pm when I headed back inside quietly. Approaching the living room, I heard hushed voices speaking my name which caught my attention.

"She's hurting, brother." Noah said as I heard Leo sigh. "I know. I understand that. But this is so much more complicated than she knows. I can't keep her here against her will, but i sure as hell don't want her to leave!"

That sentence made my heart thump faster, igniting forgotten sensations in my body.

"If she leaves, I can't protect her Noah. They will find her and they will kill her. And it will hurt her even more to know who helped put her there."

I decided I needed to speak up and make my presence known as I could hear how stressed he was. I hated what he did to me but I couldn't stop myself from feeling bad that I caused all of this stress. So I silently stepped into the door frame with my arms clutching at Noah's jacket that still lay on my shoulder.

"I'll stay."

Both their heads shot towards me as they looked confused, clearly wondering how long I was there for. "I'll stay, but don't think this means any of you are forgiven." I spoke bluntly yet quietly before retreating to my room, avoiding any further conversation.

When I entered my room, my eyes landed on one of the photo frames I had which Kat brought me earlier. It was a photo of me and my father on my first day of high school. The year he left. We looked so happy in this photo. If only I knew back then what I know now.

Picking up the frame, I analysed it as fury built up inside me. I swung open my bedroom door and threw the frame at the wall opposite me. The glass shattered as it collided with such force, the sound echoing through the empty hallway. I stood looking at the broken image, my breath heavy, not realising that people had come to see what the noise was.

I heard a deep voice order everyone away before approaching me. He stopped in front of the glass laid across the floor before connecting his eyes with mine.

"Amore.." he spoke sympathetically. Those words was enough to ruin the facade I had been building up. I broke. I stood in the doorway of my room sobbing.

Sobbing that my father betrayed me.
Sobbing that they all left me.
Sobbing because he never really did.

All of this was too much to digest in such a short amount of time.

Leo strides towards me, not bothered that glass crunches under his feet. His strong arms enveloped me into a tight hug whilst i cried into his arms.

One hand rubbed my back whilst the other rand through my hair. "I got you, amore." He cooed, placing a gentle kiss on my head as he stood in his spot, not leaving me whilst I was so hurt.

No matter how much pain he has inflicted upon me, there was no denying..

Leo Valentino was the only person who could help take that pain away.