The Dollhouse

It all started with a doll house....

I was about 3 years old when I got the best gift ever. A doll house. But not just any doll house, no this was a doll house that put other doll houses to shame. It was large, 4 floors to be exact. It was also very wide. My father had put it together in my room, I remember my step mother getting so mad about it taking up too much space. In her defense, it really was too large for my room. That was until we moved. I was 5, he updated the house for me. It was an annual thing, every year for my birthday I'd wake up to an updated doll house. He'd repaint it, remodel the inside. One year I insisted my dollies needed marble counter tops. I think I was 7. Eventually I turned 12 though, and at first my father thought I'd want nothing to do with the doll house. But he was so wrong...
I took over the remodeling, asking for additions to the house. By the time I was 14 the house had grown, I had a very large doll family living there and everything was perfect. Perfect...

My 16th birthday came and I was looking forward to the new remodel. I woke up happy and giggling. I pulled open the giant walls of my doll house and looked inside. It was perfect! Baby blue walls in the living room with a deep chestnut colored wood floor that led to a black and white hexagon tiled kitchen with light gray walls and a music note clock. Everything looked perfect. The rooms had new lights that worked, and I was happy as happy could be. I looked around my room though, something was off. Where was my step mom and brother? Where was my father?
I rushed down stairs that day to be greeted with more silence. The only thing I could think to do was to call them. I picked up my phone and called my father first. No answer. Then I called my step mother, again no answer. I set the phone down in defeat wondering where they could be. Maybe getting my birthday cake? Maybe my head was making excuses, either way the feeling I had was that something wasn't right. I sat alone for a while in the living room, then there was a knock on the front door. I looked through the peephole and saw our neighbor, Mrs. Lang. I opened the door to see her looking quite somber, and for some reason that look bothered me.

"Dear, I'm here to take you to the hospital it's.... it's best if we leave now." She said with a hint of sadness in her tone.

"The hospital? What happened? Where's my dad?" I asked her and she shook her head and motioned for me to follow her.

"Come on, it's best if we just get going." Her response wasn't comforting. She drove me over there and I wasn't prepared for what was waiting for me. In the waiting area of the hospital was my little brother, he was seated in a chair by himself and he clearly had been crying. His head lifted when he saw me and he came running over and threw his arms around my waist and buried his head against me as he sobbed more. I knew something was wrong in that moment, very wrong. Mrs Lang stayed with us till finally a doctor came out and explained the situation.

"Miss Kang, I'm Doctor Han. Your brother is in recovery, he'll be fine. Just some minor bumps and bruises, but he'll be fine. Your mother..."

"Step mother..." I corrected, not that I hated the woman.... I mean she did give me a little brother to adore. She was nice, sometimes it seemed she was trying too hard to prove she cared about me. I just never wanted to forget that I have a real mother.. or had.

"Your step mother... she fought for the last few hours. Strong woman.... But it wasn't enough." He said with a hint of sadness, not the kind that comes with mourning someone... no this was sadness that had been taught. I'm sure it never gets easy telling people their loved ones are dead, but honestly this Doctor could have tried a little harder in that department.

"And my father?" I nearly choked out as a few tears managed to stream down my cheek.

"It was a horrible Accident Miss Kang... the oil truck hit your father's driver side head on. He died on impact." I turned immediately to Mrs Lang and buried my head in her shirt. She held me close as she patted my back.