An Unusual Bunch

Kai helped me with dinner by chopping up some veggies. I was feeling in the mood for a stew. Bread was already in the oven, meat was being cooked up nicely. Kai sighed as he sliced into a carrot on the cutting-board.

"I wish she was here.... I know you're a good cook and all, but remember when she use to make stew?" He asked. I nodded and added a pinch of salt to the meat as it cooked.

"Yeah. She really had a way of commanding the kitchen." I smiled remembering those days fondly. I wouldn't even know how to cook if it wasn't for her. As Kai and I spoke more about Mrs. Lang's cooking we heard a door open and shut. Kai looked at me wide eyed but I shook my head at him and placed my index finger to my lips to signal to him to not say what he might want to say. He looked back to the carrot and sliced into it again. The sound of the knife hitting the cutting board seemed to echo around the room, it was so quiet. Then we heard another sound, it sounded mechanical. Kai jumped a bit as we heard something thud. He looked down as he felt something hit his foot. It was a red and white RC car. He picked it up and examined it, setting the knife down on the cutting board. There was a note attached to the hood of the car. Kai picked it up and unfolded it.

"You're ability to cut carrots is horrible kid....." He looked at me and scoffed a bit. I giggled and patted his back. "They don't like my cutting?" He looked dumbfounded again. I couldn't help but giggle again. Just then something hit my foot. I looked down to see a blue and white RC car. I did the same as Kai and picked it up, another note attached to the hood of the new car. I pealed it off and unfolded it.

"What's it say?" Kai asked. I looked at the words on the note and read them out loud to him.

"There's two – Noona looks pretty today, and the second one says- It smells real yummy." I smiled at the compliments and looked around the kitchen. "Thank you. If you don't feel like coming out it's okay, we can respond through notes." I smiled and set the RC car back down, Kai did the same. Both cars drove off, presumably controlled by the little dolls. They didn't seem so bad. I noticed Kai pouting a bit.

"What?" I asked him as I nudged his side.

"They called you Noona." He pouted at me again. I smiled and gave him a side hug.

"Stop teasing. You know you're my only baby brother and I love you more than anything." ruffled his hair and we heard another giggle. We both looked toward the front hall that led to the front where the spiral stairs were. I smiled and looked back at Kai. He went back to chopping up the carrots, looking around as he did so. I watched him for a moment and then we both were distracted by some huffing noises. I didn't see anything till we noticed something wooden hit the front of the island counter right across from where Kai was cutting the carrots. Suddenly we saw a tuff of light brown hair come up followed by small pudgy hands and a tiny adorable little boy came into full view as he stepped up onto the counter. He pointed at Kai with his adorable little hands.

"Ya! You suck at cutting carrots kid. Mama clearly never taught you well." He said as he walked over to Kai and placed his hand over Kai's hand that was holding the carrot.

"Your fingers have to go here... like this." He moved Kai's hand back and then moved quickly to the hand that was holding the knife. He pushed Kai's hand up and moved it over so the knife was resting against the end of the carrot.

"Now you gotta slide down and move over just a little bit and slide down again. Like swift movements, okay kid?" The little doll looked up at Kai who was frozen in place. He moved the knife like he was instructed and the little doll moved out of the way, standing off to the side with his arms folded across his white and red t-shirt.