The Incredible Dolly Lang part 1

I found it hard to sleep that night, essentially growing up in this old mansion had made me immune to all the creeks and other sounds of what I guess what the house settling. But tonight I found myself restless, more restless than usual. I carefully got out of bed and slowly opened my door, doing my best to not wake my brother or Mrs. Lang. I slowly made my way into the upstairs hall and noticed a light on downstairs. I figured maybe Kai got up to go into the kitchen so I went down to shut the light off. As I got down the stairs I heard Mrs. Lang's voice coming from her room. I couldn't make out what she was saying, maybe she was a sleep talker. I headed to the kitchen to find some leftover chicken and rice out, I put it back into the fridge. I guess Kai had grabbed some and forgot to put it back.

I grabbed a bottle of water and walked back out to the stairwell. Again I heard Mrs. Lang's voice, this time she seemed to be laughing, it was nice hearing her laugh. I thought nothing of it and shut off the light then went back up stairs. I heard a familiar click as I was half way up the stairs but decided maybe it was just Mrs. Lang closing her door more or something.

The next morning Kai got himself off to school, surprisingly. Most of the time I had to get him up and out the door. But I heard his usual banging around upstairs, I got up and put on my robe. My door was opened, I guess I didn't close it fully when I came back to bed. I looked around the upstairs hall and walked over to Kai's room. His door was slightly opened and he was... asleep in his bed. I looked back around and wondered what the hell all that banging around was. I pushed open Kai's door and went in, shaking his shoulder.

"Come on Kai, time to get up and get to school. If you're late, I swear I'll give you a wedgie." I halfheartedly threatened him as he groaned and sat up.

"it's too early..." He pouted. I patted his head and ruffled his hair.

"No buddy, it's not. Not for us anyway. I have to go check Mrs. Lang's stuff and message the nurse. You should grab yourself a pop tart or something and I'll get ready for work. I'll drop you off." I said with a smile, trying to wake up more. I headed downstairs and heard some creaking from upstairs behind me. I shrugged it off and went to find the light I turned off last night was back on. Maybe I didn't turn it off? I headed in to check on Mrs. Lang, opening the door I smiled. She was laying there looking so restful, her eyes closed. On the bed with her were photo books I'd never seen, a letter in her hand, and a box of letters on the table beside her bed. I came around to get a closer look, noticing the letter laying between her thumb and index finger had my name on it. That's when my eyes widened in horror, I noticed the monitor for her heart rate was off, her IV also undone, same with her oxygen tank. I looked ran over and plugged the heart monitor in, as I did so, Kai came into the room.

"Hey Sis, why's the.... What are you doing?" He asked. The machine started back up and there was nothing but a constant beep.... Flat-line.

"No.. no no no.. Kai were you downstairs again last night?" I asked.

"No." He said.

"I mean after you grabbed yourself a late night snack." I responded as I whipped out my phone and messaged her nurse, followed by calling the emergency number. It seemed to hit Kai hard then.

"Wait.. she's... she's gone? No! No Y/N!" He shouted and ran to her side. I didn't notice the tears streaming down my face. I didn't know what to do... I had no idea what to do. It seemed like hours before the medics arrived, followed by Mrs. Lang's nurse. I was questioned, from the looks of it, they said she most likely unplugged herself. She didn't want to suffer through the pain anymore. The letter to me only implied as such. It was her handwriting, so I couldn't argue it. Something still felt off though. They said she passed in her sleep, so she most likely didn't feel any pain at all.