new girl

»»» song: our last night - faith (acoustic)

27th January

Sydney

All great stories begin with a change. Whether it's a good or bad one. And changes only happen through choices. Whether they're big or small ones, because even a small, seemingly unimportant one can change the course of events.
The so called 'butterfly effect' if you want. It seems ridiculous, but just think about it. Think about a simple decision and what it led to. For example, the way your parents meant -and yes, that's also a reference to the whole story of How I met your mother, because, let's be honest, the concept is just amazing and if you don't agree I'm sorry for you.
Anyway, now you know about what kind of choices we're talking here. Choices that change your whole life and turn it to something it would have never become, if this simple choice hadn't been made.
Our story begins on a tuesday afternoon, where a girl called Thalia was hurriedly running through the busy streets of Sydney.

»»»

"Great. I'm gonna be late." Thalia was following the route Google Maps was showing her, but somewhere on the way, she'd taken a wrong turn and now she was lost. Luckily, she hadn't got lost way too far away from where she was supposed to be, but could she make it in 15 minutes ?
It would be a difficult task, for sure, but she had to try at least. Maybe the people there would understand her. And if not, well then she would've flown all the way from Europe for nothing. Not exactly nothing, she could still say she'd been in Australia. Not many people could say that.

You see, Thalia's story begins with a choice two months ago. The decision of applying to a job offer on the other side of the world. Australia.
Until now the only things she knew about this country was what she learned in school and tv. It used to be a colony of the British Empire. It had been a prison island. Then of course, the animals. Some weird ones lived there. Kangaroos, cute koalas, disgusting spiders. Okay, spiders were everywhere in the world, but the Australian ones were really disgusting.
Other facts, she also witnessed as soon as she'd landed their a few days ago, was the weird sounding accent. It was difficult sometimes to understand the people there. Though she got used to it eventually.
And of course: the weather. Or rather, the seasons.
It was January and summer.
Two words which didn't fit together, in her opinion. Nevertheless, she somehow got also used to that.

Now most of you are probably wondering, what the hell was she doing in Sydney? We already know it was because of a job offer, but this only raises more questions, right?
As in the beginning explained, all great stories begin with choices we make.
Thalia, in this case, made the choice of doing something courageous and risky for once in her life. You see, she was the type of girl who always admired others -whether on tv or real life- for taking chances, but was too afraid of taking them herself.
She wasn't really happy with the idea of Australia, since it was a whole different continent, but she'd realised it was her only chance to get out of England, where she'd grown up.
All she'd had to do was to fill in the online application and send a portfolio. Not that she had expected to get accepted. It was more one of those 'fuck it' -moments. And exactly those kind of moments write our life stories after all. And much to her surprise, they'd invited her over.

"There it is." After minutes of searching, being actually a bit exhausted, she finally found the right address. Entering the big forecourt, nervousness started filling her body along with a weird feeling in her stomach. She had to calm down herself though, it wouldn't be a great advantage if she started stuttering. Which she tended to do when being anxious.
Taking a deep breath, she pushed open the glass door to the building, standing in front of the reception. No one was there though and she was already going to be late, not having the time to wait for anyone to come, she decided to go search someone to ask on her own.
The corridors, however, were pretty long, consisting of lots of closed doors and photos of older and newer artists and bands hanging on the walls. At least she remembered the name of the guy who offered the job.