Chapter 21 - Escape Plan

Katherine's POV

"What are you doing?!"

I jumped at the sudden angry voice of Demos. Demos stood there with his arms crossed over his naked muscular chest glaring at me suspiciously. My heart pounded in my chest from the panic of being caught. What do I do? What do I say? I have to meet Dallas and Bethany soon.

"Well, Katherine, I'm waiting." Demos said.

"I...uhm..." Come on Kat think of something fast.

"Katherine, what were you doing?" Demos growled. "Where you trying to escape again? Do you not remember your punishment from last time? Or do you need a reminder?" Demos threatened. His eyes turning red as he snarled in anger.

My body shook a little in fear at what Demos will do to me next if he found out what I was up to. More importantly what he would do to Dallas and Bethany.

"Well...I..." Demos started to slowly walk toward me in the most intimidating way imaginable. It was like he was daring me to lie. "W-Well...I was very thirsty. So..." Demos continued to walk towards me causing me to back up until I hit the wall. "S-So, I-I thought I would go to the kitchen and look for a glass of water." It every fiber of my brain and courage I had to think of that small lie. I really hope he bought it because I have been told that I am a terrible liar.

Demos now stood over my shaking form that was pressed against the wall. He then pressed his hands against the wall on both sides of my head, trapping me. "Your heart is racing really fast. You are either lying to me or scared Katherine. I wonder which one it is...or is it both?" Definitely both. We both just stared into each others eyes. Demos making me more nervous by the second.

"Alright, Katherine, you can have your water, but you have five minutes." Demos decided then moved away from me to walk to his bed.

I swallowed the lump in my throat in relief at his answer, but I know I will need more time to go over the plan with Dallas and Bethany. "I-Uhm...Demos."

Demos stopped in his tracks and turned towards me. "What Katherine? It is already 2:45 am and I am really tired. I do not have time for your foolishness." He said harshly.

"I-I am also a bit hungry for some food." I said thinking of another lie. "S-So, I-I may need more time." Demos then made his way toward me until his body towered over me once again. I put my head looking at my feet trying to avoid his intimidating gaze. Demos suddenly grabbed my chin forcing my head up to look at him.

"I don't know what you are trying to do, but if you so much as look out the window I promise you I will make the next few days hell on this planet." Demos gave me threatening glare. "I will give you 20 minutes to drink water and to find a light snack. If you are not back here in 30 minutes I will drag you back here and you will be punished. Do you understand?"

I nodded my head yes, but Demos just glared at me wanting a verbal answer. "Uhm, yes Demos." Demos nodded his head in satisfaction and released his grip from my chin.

I watched as Demos made his way to the bed pulling the covers back over him as he lay back down. "Katherine, you just wasted 30 seconds just by staring at me. The clock is ticking, mate." Demos said still laying down.

'Come on Katherine move!' I tell myself as I quickly make my way out of the room and ran down the hall hoping I find a way to the basement.

As I made my way down the hall I walked past several rooms. Before I could walk fully past the last one I was suddenly grabbed from behind. I was about to scream until a hand fell over my mouth. My heart raced in panic as I was pulled into the doorway of the dark room.

"Don't scream." The voice whispered. This voice sounded familiar.

"Dallas?" I muffled under his hand.

Dallas slowly removed his hand once I realized who he was. I turned towards him to see him looking at me with a small smile. "Sorry about that. I didn't want you to scream." He whispered.

"Why didn't you just call my name?" I whispered back.

"It would have been to low for you to hear. I couldn't risk the guards catching us."

I nodded my head in understanding. "Come let's go. I just left Bethany down stairs. She's waiting."

Both of carefully and quietly began our small trip to the basement. After a few moments on the far back side of the palace was doubled doors that led to the basement. Dallas opened the door to a set of stairs that looked old and dirty. As we made our descent to the bottom of the dimly lit stairway that had an eerie aura. Almost like something you would see in a horror movie.

"This way." Dallas said in a low voice, not wanting to wake the people sleeping in the rooms we pasted. The basement consists of rooms on both sides all the way down except at the end of the left side. A sign pointed above the open space that read, 'Kitchen'.

We finally came to a room towards the across from the kitchen. Dallas opened the door for me and ushered me in. I walked in to see two sets of bunk beds on each side of the room. I wonder where the people were who slept there. In the center of the room was a small table. I looked to see Bethany sitting at the table in her pajamas.

She gave me a small smile when she saw me. "I thought you wouldn't be able to sneak out." Bethany said as Dallas and I took the empty seats around the table.

"Yeah, I didn't think so either. Demos woke up and caught me."

Both of them stared at me wide eyed. "He doesn't know you here, right?" Beth asked.

I shook my head, no. "I only have thirty minutes to be down here or I will get punished."

Bethany slowly nodded her understanding with the look of remorse on her face. While Dallas had a pissed off look on his face.

I felt a bit embarrassed by saying that. Here I am a grown woman being threatened to get punished like a spanking you give a child for being bad. This whole thing sounded messed up. I know one thing though Demos keeps his promises. When he said I was going to be punished then you better believe I was going to face the wrath of Demos.

"So, Dallas you mentioned the other day that their was a group trying to go for the underground human rebel group." I said trying to change the subject. I only had so little time.

Dallas snapped his eyes at me once I said his name. When I finished talking Dallas cleared his throat and spoke. "While I was in the auction house I overheard people discussing the underground hideout. So, I decided to get myself involved. We kept it on the down-low as best as we could. It was hard with all the guards around though." Dallas started off saying looking between both Bethany and I. "Anyway, one of the men in the small group had said that the underground hideout is a supposedly secure and secret US military base making it the perfect place for humans to hide."

"How does this man know this?" I asked.

"Well, the guy didn't go into much detail. All he said that he was in the military before all this happened."

"How can you trust him, Dallas? How do you know this is legit?" Bethany asked. Catching Dallas attention.

I nodded my head in agreement at Bethany's concern. "Dallas shes right. I remember hearing that some of the lycans were disgusted as US soldiers."

Dallas sighed. "I know you guys may be concerned by that, but I believe that this is not a trick. I mean what reason will they have to put a lycan disgusted as a slave in an auction house.

We all sat there in silence for a moment. "Dallas. I'm not su-"

Dallas stretched across the table and placed his hand on Bethany's stopping her speech. "Trust me Beth. I love you and I am not going to let anything happen to you." Dallas said sincerely looking in his cousins eyes. "I won't let anything happen to either of you." He said his eyes now on me. "For this plan of escape to work you have to trust me. We need each other."

Bethany and I both exchange glances before we looked at him nodding out head in agreement. I have to say it will not be easy to put full trust in someone I just met. What else do I have to lose? This is my freedom we are talking about.

"What do you suggest we do?"